Fair market value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We were a big fan of gun shows. The sea of fire arms is exciting! But, since retiring to the mountains, it's more economical to buy from one of the three gun stores up here. In order to get to the show I have to pay for the fuel to go on a five hour round trip drive. Then pay parking fees plus entry fees (x2). Also, since it's all day event, we have to eat...which is yet another expense.

With that said we are planning to go to The Crossroads of The West show in June. We will combine that trip with a night stay and day visit at my daughters home in the East valley desert. For this will be bringing the motorhome which is a gas guzzling beast. I have a list of guns I am looking for as well as the price I can get them for locally. But I am always on the look out for interesting private party offerings. To me that is worth the price of admission. I have made a few feel good buys from mom, pop, uncles, nephews and children of gun collectors. So you never know.

In the last few years we have been to a few small town gun shows while traveling. But haven't seen anything that sparked my interest. Well I did see a very used Charter Arms 9mm wheel gun in Quartzsite, I had no idea such a thing existed. I eventually found a Ruger SP101 9mm brand new and at the same price at a local store. So I bought it.

KWend54

Single-Sixer
Well, I think most people who love Rugers, or all firearms for that matter enjoy seeing a display of a certain model, type or rarity that provides the opportunity to learn from. Knowledge and interest is much easier gained from actually seeing a particular gun you are curious about in person and up close! In this day and age with "black guns" being so prevalent an old model Ruger display in the middle of a bunch of soulless black guns is refreshing! But, that's just me … lol

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
If there was a gun show close, as in 2 hours or so, my wife and I went. Not so any more. We just go to a few select ones and one local that isn't much but I get to see and talk to several people.

We hadn't been to Tulsa since the pandemic and went last November, a bit disappointed but made a nice weekend out of as usual. As they say, they ain't like they use to be. I could count on finding tons of 38 brass but it seems that has dried up and I suspect items like that don't generate enough profit to lug around and pedal especially with the internet.

In the 90s, I had an uncle that lived in a small town. He did not have a FFL but took a truck load of firearms to the local gun show several times a year. I had a few guns to sell and spend the weekend there. All of the guys selling at inflated prices including my uncle. None were gun shops owners just guys with lots of firearms. I priced the 2 I took at fair prices and sold them. I saw lots of people picking up guns and looking, not much buying. Uncle did not sell a thing but B.S.ed with a lot of people, most he knew. After I asked him if anyone sells anything. He said not really most of the sellers go around to other sellers trading their stock. I didn't understand any of it. Why take the time and cost to set up a table in hopes someone will buy at a far too high of price. My take was maybe most just wanted to get out of the house and show off their guns and B.S.
Back in Portland most of the guys selling at gun shows really wanted to sell and priced items to sell. That was back then.
Boise gun shows are hit and miss with prices. I had to tell one guy his price was 2 times higher I just paid for the same ammo at a gun shop earlier that week. I doubt he believed me. All of his stuff was way too high.

krw

Blackhawk
We were at Tulsa last month. It is a joke compared to 30yrs ago. A sad place.