Gunsmithing charges

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hbcguns

Bearcat
Good day Gun folks!

I have a question, or an array to questions bound into one; "what to charge for gunwork?"

1. General gun cleaning and inspection.

2. "Deep" cleaning (Breakdown of rifle or pistol as far as recommended by manufacturer) inspection, scope re-mounting, leveling, zeroing up to 30 yds.

3. Long term storage bag (5 years) price for bag.

The first firearm in my shop was the mini 14, I had some issues with it that I received help from this forum to rectify.

I started in this endeavor after this past years deer season. I found my 7mm-08 was missing on me. Since 2008 I had never missed a deer I was really intending to kill. From the longest shot of 226 yds. to the closest of 25 feet or less. I could find no one to help me get it right, so I started buying tools and reading everything I could get my hands on. The mini 14 shoots great and the action is like a new one, almost...

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Gunsmith fees are usually varied by location, the type of work done, and how detailed it may be. Plus,, a gunsmith with a well known reputation can usually get more than a new guy. People are hesitant to give their precious guns over to a stranger w/o some knowledge of that person.
Then you need to look at what a FFL costs.
Then insurance.
Add in is this full time, part time, or whatever?

I'm NOT a gunsmith. I NEVER claim to be one. But I also like to "tinker" on my guns. And occasionally, I do help a friend who needs a scope mounted & zeroed. Or I may do a good cleaning & function testing of a gun. And I've done a few other things for others. Most often,, I will help someone with their gun,, WHILE THEY WATCH me,, so I'm never taking possession of it. (legalities.)

So, ask yourself; "How would I handle something if the worst was to happen,, say a fire that destroys a family heirloom?"
Or maybe a theft of someone else's gun?
Legalities.

Once you cover those bases,, then many gunsmiths have an hourly rate from about $40 to over $100.

Brownells used to publish a pretty extensive SHOP PRICE SURVEY. It showed the price ranges of things like the Service Charges (the hourly rates), Metal Finishing, Sight Work, General Barrel, Action, and Rifle Work, Shotgun work, Handgun Work, Stock Work, Clean $ Oil Customer Gun, etc.

I do not know if they do that anymore though but you might be able to find a past survey on line.

As said above, there is a lot more than what most people think has to be done to start a business before hanging out a Gunsmith shingle. But gunsmiths are needed so if you are serious about it go for it. The American Gunsmithing Institute is another good starting place to continuing to learn the gunsmith trade.

IMHO: The liability issues are far more expensive than I'm willing to get into. I'm not a 'gunsmith' although maybe closer to firearms mechanic.
Right now, my 'specialty' is the AR platform which is a fairly straight forward, nuts and bolts sort of thing and I don't modify parts. Cleaning, mounting optics/slings, replacing parts all have value for customers who have zero mechanical knowledge/ability.

hbcguns

Bearcat
Thank you all for your replies.

I learned a great deal more than i knew, so thanks again...

Allen Carter

Ask your self, what is the "shop rate" at an auto repair shop. I am retired, I charge $40 per hour I have no overhead expenses except electricity for my shop. A thorough cleaning without full disassembly on most firearms takes about an hour. If the barrel is leaded up, may take longer, if the rifle barrel is fouled with copper, just cleaning the barrel may take a couple of hours. I clean many rifles that are 50-60 years old that have never had their barrels cleaned properly.

Latest posts