help with restoring beauty to stainless vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I have run into an issue with some nicks and scratches on a stainless vaquero or two I have. I have seen where some here have buffed out the guns and removed the offending marks. I tried Flitz this evening, it helped but I still have marks showing. How are you folks giving these guns a high shine and no marks? Help would be appreciated.

G2

Hunter
Your welcome, now rub-a-dub, dub, dub.

I also like to go to wallgreens drug store and get foam finger nail boards, there sort of stiff, give a little, and you can get them in 320,400, 600, and every now and them I find em 800. They are about 1"x7", get started w/ those taking out the dings and dents then when I get to the 1000 -3000 wrap that around the board to get it all looking good. You will see at 2000 things start looking really good but the 3000 & then flitz is the shiznuts. :D :D

PS, you wife might have one of them there boards, resist, go get your own, for some reason they get real proud of em. :roll:

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Mother's Mag Polish (available at Walmart) is a little more aggressive than Flitz and worked well for me.

StainlessVaquerowithIvory.jpg

yes, you need to be more aggressive around any "marks" (dings, scratches,etc) then blend in to the rest of the gun...we too use Mothers but only to 'finish" things off, and wipe the gun down with one of those 'microfiber' cloths and voila, looks like nickel........

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
What do you guys used on the guns that have a more "brushed" stainless finish (like on the Blackhawks)? I'd imagine the Mothers or Flitz would end up making the touched up spots too shiny.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Hammerdown77":1g7ladir said:
What do you guys used on the guns that have a more "brushed" stainless finish (like on the Blackhawks)? I'd imagine the Mothers or Flitz would end up making the touched up spots too shiny.

Some have recommended green Scotch-Brite Pads for brushed finishes. I have never tried them myself so can't honestly recommend them. Others may have first-hand experience with them.

good hear you gotter done.....practice and enough time, and you'd be surprised what one can accomplish...
hammerdown77, we just use a couple of Scotch Brite pads, for us the color rally doesn't matter, once you know HOW HARD or LIGHT you need to rub,m they all do the job, some can be very aggressive and some you gotta rub and press harder......again, time and practice...the other stuff ,Mothers, Flitz, semichrome, they are ALL polishes, makes stuff "shiny" , the pads, dull ( matte) things down,more subdued, less glare.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I agree with the green ScotchBrite scouring pads. I sometimes steal one from the Kitchen Sink and run it downstairs into the Dungeon....

Octagon_LR.jpg

157334697.jpg

52725233.jpg

264767830.jpg

These favorite, stainless steel, shooters are all maintained with the ScotchBrite pads!

flatgate

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I tried a blue one that came on one of those sponge/scrubber combo pads, and it really had no noticeable effect on the light scratch I have on my stainless Colt Commander. I'm thinking the blue pad is not aggressive enough (it does say "no-scratch" or something like that on the package).

nope, thats the wrong type of material.....and is "no scratch",so won't do the job.........its the marks (scratches) you want to "control" and this gives you the finish (texture)....thats why its so "obvious" when you do go the wrong way (across the grain ,so to speak...)