Convert New Super Sigle Six to 22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Looking at my 1972 Super Single Six and seeing a Taurus Raging Hornet online and got an idea - besides money, what would it take to convert a Single Six to 22 Hornet or a wildcat based on a shortened 22 Hornet case? Recommedations for gunsmiths? Thanks. TD

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
HOW MUCH WOULD IT TAKE ?? HOW much ya got.....?

Been done many times now, no new fields to plow.

Hamilton Bowen.

Sir,

I am quite sure that it has been done many times. I am sure that with your name, you have done this many times. I however have not read about such a conversion here, nor anywhere, which is what prompted my question. Your response, though succinct, lacks the information I was after. Can the existing cylinder (mine has a fluted 22 Mag) be used, or does a new cylinder need to be machined? What other parts need to be replaced at a minimum? Is there a website that can help me learn more. Thank you. TD

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
princeout said:
Tinker Dave,
Wander on over to the "Single Actions" website and check out this thread:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/9662/forum-wildcat

It will give you some ideas. There is also some info in Hamilton Bowen's "The Custom Revolver" book on a conversion similar but I can't recall which cartridge he converted one to.

Tim
Thank you for taking the time to shoot me a link. I own an H&R Model 58 in 22 Hornet and I really like the cartridge. It is low noise, low recoil and very effective out to 150 yards or so, depending on varmit being shot. I would love to have a revolver with the same cartridge, but the Taurus is a lot of money to me. Since I own the Single Six and as it only has the 22 magnum cylinder, I was thinking of a way to make it more useful to me.

Again, thanks for the input. TD

Hondo44

Hawkeye
TinkerDave,

Some years ago when I couldn't find enough ammo for my Ruger 256 Hawkeye, I machined a brass insert for the chamber and shot readily available 25-20 ammo. Now I reload 256 for the Hawkeye.

Then it occurred to me that 25-20 would make a great round for a single six size Ruger, albeit too long for the cylinder. I didn't want to get into a custom longer cylinder. So I shortened some cases and loaded them. What I liked was that they cycle and shoot well in my Winch 25-20 carbine. So I could use the same round in both handgun and rifle.

Shortening the neck flutes on the 25-20 reamer and re-chambering an extra 22 Mag cyl is a cake walk. By using it in a 32 Mag SS, I didn't have to convert the firing pin to centerfire. I just need a .256 piece of barrel now to complete the gun. I may have to resort to having a 22 barrel re-bored to .256" but I don't have the $200 right now. I see now that what I came up with is similar to the .257 Jackrabbit on the single action website.

The 22 hornet seems like it would adapt to the short SS cyl. but I'm afraid too much case capacity would be lost because it's even longer than a 25-20. But I guess you picked the hornet for it's .22 bore, that sure simplifies the conversion and keeps cost to the price of a reamer; under $100 from Brownells. And again, a .32 mag ss w/centerfire firing pin makes it simple with just a barrel change to .22.

Now I'm thinking the 25-20 shortened and necked down to .22 would be the easiest conversion but I couldn't shoot it in my 25-20 rifle. In affect I'd have a .218 BEE with shorter neck and shorter case body. Shortening a 218 case would leave very little neck. So I'd start with a 25-20 case and have a 22-20 Ruger!

I have converted a .22 SS to centerfire which is quite simple using all the original parts, just relocating them. I converted an OM SS .22 to .32 Fed Mag for a friend who wanted one with the old 3 screw action. Started with a .32 H&R Ruger cyl and it's just barely long enough for .327 FM, and a Ruger .32 NM barrel:

medium800.jpg

Had to enlarge the loading gate chute slightly for the larger diameter cases.
medium800.jpg

Full details here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169381

Enigma

Hunter
From Bowen Classic Arms catalog: (http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_single_action_basic_caliber_conversions.html)

NO. RS06 CYLINDER AND BARREL CONVERSION Available for both Old and New Model revolvers (including Vaqueros and Single-Sixes), this conversion was developed for small-bore calibers and includes a custom cylinder and barrel fitted with a custom front sight. Small-frame calibers include the .22 Long Rifle, .22 WRM and .327 Fed. Mag. Please note: we do not offer rim-to-centerfire firing pin conversions. Typical medium-frame calibers include the .218 Bee, .25-20, .256 Win. Mag. and the .32-20. Large-frame cylinders are long enough to accommodate the .22 Hornet, as well. The .41 Magnum is an excellent choice in the various medium-frame guns since the long cylinder will accommodate potent heavy-bullet loads. Available in both blue and stainless steel materials.

RS06 $1,250.00

Based on that, I don't think your Single Six would be suitable for this conversion. If you're serious, talk to Hamilton. He's a very personable Southern gentleman, as was his late father. I'm certain that he'll steer you in the right direction.

edlmann

Blackhawk
TinkerDave said:
Looking at my 1972 Super Single Six and seeing a Taurus Raging Hornet online and got an idea - besides money, what would it take to convert a Single Six to 22 Hornet or a wildcat based on a shortened 22 Hornet case? Recommedations for gunsmiths? Thanks. TD

Besides money? More money:

4897-cash.jpg

ETA: Consider also the .22 Jet.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
All fo you guys are great - love the sense of humor mixed with insightful knowledge. Thanks again for all of the help. Being a furloughed Dept of Army civilian, money is getting real tight right now - I may have to take a day off this week, because I do not have gas money until next payday. Therefore, I will be relegating this to the dream pile.TD

cas6969

Buckeye
.22 Long Snapper was designed just for that purpose.
Basically a reloadable, slightly hotter .22 Mag.

Mine was done some years ago, rim fire to center fire conversion and re chamber. Surprisingly, at least at the time, it didn't cost me all that much, relatively speaking. The base gun cost me probably $100 more than the work. I think the custom RCBS dies cost 40-45% of what the work did though. Scratching my brain a bit, details are fuzzy this many years later... buying a new gun to build on, the work and custom dies, I probably have $750ish in it, 2001-2002 dollars. Hmm.. More than I thought. (can't believe it was over 10 years ago). So not cheap and the price of the base guns and work sure didn't go down. Boy, I shouldn't have done that bit of math. lol

The trick migh be finding someone with a reamer, or having one made which will certainly drive the cost up. Dave Clements did mine , but last I check (again some years ago) he wasn't doing the rim to center fire conversion anymore.

Longsnapperweb.jpg

DSC01926.JPG

DSC01931.JPG

22lineupWEB.jpg

DSC04328.JPG

kywoodwrkr

Bearcat
22 Harvey K-Chuk is another older version on the hornet base.
I'm working the idea over in my gray matter to redo one of my 32 H&Rs.
Have a S&W M15 sitting for conversion as well.
Been 'thinking' about this for fifteen years though.
As any good beagle will tell you, oh so many rabbits and so little time.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I acquired a Bowen conversion of an OMBH to 25-20 from a member of this forum last year. Was fussy about powders at first, but 9-10 grs. of H-110 works quite well with a 75 grain bullet.