Mini 14 trigger falls out when fired.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rhugh02

Bearcat
Hello all, I have a new model mini 14 ranch rifle. At the range I fired a few round and the trigger group just fell out, I could not believe it! Bottom line the trigger group would come unlocked from the force of being fired. I have read that others have had this same issue and had to bend the trigger guard in some way so it could lock up tighter. My question is has anyone out there had this issue and how did you fix it. I can't say I feel comfortable bending the trigger guard myself. Thank you in advance for any help on this.

mike28w

Bearcat
I don't think that I'd want to be bending it either.....

I think that I'd want to send it back to Ruger.... If this isn't a "defect", then it's the strangest "option" that I've ever heard about..... :lol:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Sounds like the latching lugs aren't catching. Are you sure the trigger group is fully seated before you snap the trigger guard in place? You know anyone who knows Minis who could take a look at it before you send it in?

rhugh02

Bearcat
UPDATE: made contact with Terry at Impact Guns, located in Utah. For you TNP'ers you can see Terry doing a trigger job on Nutnfancy's Mini on YouTube under "mini 14 trigger job Terry G" anyway I talked with Terry and he explains that the mini trigger guard in itself is a spring and he has seen them anywhere from to loose to to tight. On my mini I can pull in open with a good pull of my hand (way to loose) he explained how to fix it by using a padded vise bending the trigger guard closer together in very small increments until it locks up properly. I think I can handle that. I hope to take some pictures and or video of the before and after. Apparently this is an all to common problem. I hope this will help anyone in the future who fires their rifle only to find the trigger guard unlock and fall out, which totally sucks!..... Regards!