Bark River Michigan Bowie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ethang

Blackhawk
So after sharpening every knife in my house to a hair popping edge I made the mistake of drinking bourbon and shopping knives on the internet. I ended up ordering a Michigan Bowie with an Ivory Micarta handle.

I have Ivory Micarta grips on my SS 32 Magnum, have always liked Bowie knives, Bark River knives are made in Michigan, and I live in Michigan so it was kind of a no brainer.

This is something else that I really have absolutely no real need for, but you only live once.

Anybody else with some Bark River knife experience to ease my buyers remorse?

pete44ru

Hunter

They're excellent knives, since the company owner help Marble's develop their modern line of knives.

You're not alone, shopping knives online...…… :roll:

I got these in the past week or so:

L81aWsZl.jpg

wXi9FIIl.jpg

gunzo

Hunter
I have a Bark River knife & it's a fine piece of work. But I don't need it & should advertise it, as it's a bit of buyers remorse.

On the other hand, I had a few beers one day & bought a 40" .40 caliber Ky. long rifle with upgraded wood.. I love it. The beer let the truth come trough.
A friend once told me he drank too much & ordered a 20ga. side by side shotgun. I've noticed he hasn't bothered to get rid of it & uses it every dove season.

Is the Bowie an omen?

cas6969

Buckeye
I have one... it's actually my third. The first one I sold right after I got it. It was a skinner, smaller than I expected. So I sold it. (Many years later, I wish I'd kept it. They no longer make it) I had a Bravo 1 that I carried hunting for a few years, but never cut anything with it. Sold that one, sold quickly, got most of my money back, probably could have gotten more.

Took that money and bought an Aurora. Carried a couple years, just sharpened it the other day, having dressed a deer with it in November.

Bravo 1
97newlook.jpg

Aurora
image_7.jpg

rimmer

Single-Sixer
cas said:
I have one... it's actually my third. The first one I sold right after I got it. It was a skinner, smaller than I expected. So I sold it. (Many years later, I wish I'd kept it. They no longer make it) I had a Bravo 1 that I carried hunting for a few years, but never cut anything with it. Sold that one, sold quickly, got most of my money back, probably could have gotten more.

Took that money and bought an Aurora. Carried a couple years, just sharpened it the other day, having dressed a deer with it in November.

Bravo 1
97newlook.jpg

Aurora
image_7.jpg

Better watch it, you might get hurt with them things.

With Bark River knives, are you able to custom order a blade style with a handle of your choice? It looks like They only sell through dealers and not direct from their website. So are you just limited to the dealer's inventory?

Their website looks nice, but it would be even better if they sold direct and not through distributors.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Kevin said:
With Bark River knives, are you able to custom order a blade style with a handle of your choice? It looks like They only sell through dealers and not direct from their website. So are you just limited to the dealer's inventory?

Their website looks nice, but it would be even better if they sold direct and not through distributors.

That I don't know. Mine is coming from an Ebay vendor, the 15% off coupon pushed me over the edge.

gramps

Hawkeye
That'll teach ya to drink and drive the Internet! :shock: :p Good looking knives and guns. Thanks for sharing!
gramps

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Well, a couple of years ago I got a nice Bark River Classic Drop Point Hunter in Cocobola for my boy...His hunting knife was stolen when someone broke into his car. Looked pretty nice so I got one myself in Desert Ironwood. Then I got a Fox River in desert iron wood...too pretty to use ,so I got another Fox River in Black G-10 as a user (my favorite knife). Did the same for another Classic Drop Point Hunter as my first one is too nice. Then I saw a great deal on a Mini Fox River in zebrawood... Small game knife! ... bought it. Months later I just had to have a Northstar as a user summer time field knife so... I bought one in black micarta using my points from Knives Ship Free, which made it another great buy. Then it dawned on me that I really needed a good kitchen knife from Bark River; found a used Petty -Z in olive wood at a great price and bought it.... So... it's been a while and I'm now looking at Knives Ship Free and DLT Trading for something to do with my Christmas money...No regrets or buyers remorse on any one of them. They're semi-custom works of art and absolutely great field knives. Heirlooms to be handed down to the next generation. But do I have a Bark River problem? Maybe? :D

The Preacher

32shooter

Blackhawk
Doesn't seem like a problem to me. :wink: :wink: I think you might have sold one to me that contributed to my problem. :D

Ethang

Blackhawk
https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3200/k2pame/products/95832/images/139132/1909-michigan-bowie-standard-pommel-a2-antique-ivory-micarta-389.95__80840.1475866353.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

If all goes well it will look like this...

again I am not sure exactly what I am going to do with it other than embrace my inner Mountain Man

32shooter

Blackhawk
Ethang said:
https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3200/k2pame/products/95832/images/139132/1909-michigan-bowie-standard-pommel-a2-antique-ivory-micarta-389.95__80840.1475866353.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

If all goes well it will look like this...

again I am not sure exactly what I am going to do with it other than embrace my inner Mountain Man

OH, that looks like a good one. Enjoy!

500jrh

Single-Sixer
Bark River knives are awesome, in a word. I have a Los Lobos and a Trailmate. Both have micarta handles. Green on the Lobos and black on the Trailmate. They replaced my Marbles (older, Made in Gladstone, REAL Marbles knives) knives that were lost in a cabin fire last year. They are my go to knives for butchering deer and bear. Amazing quality and hold edges well.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Hmmm... I've got a birthday coming up in March AND I live in Michigan. I just might join your club.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Got the knife in this morning and it's impressive. To quote a famous knife expert " That's a knife". The feel in my hand is phenomenal, but I am a big guy with big hands. Best of all the Antique Micarta matches my 32 magnum grips nicely. This is not really a practical knife at all, much too big for that. It is very sharp, not shaving sharp but a really good working edge. I am a bit disappointed in the sheath, it is not the model I expected, but that's a small gripe. I think I will put it to use beside my Lazy Boy, opening envelopes and interlopers... maybe cutting up a steak now and then.

Latest posts