round wont drop in one of the chamber's, security 6

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
the chamber to the right of the letter S stamped in the cyl is the one.
you can see the extractor is not flush with the cyl face. all the others are ok, just that one. bent? defect? common?
how do i fix that.
i mean its obvious. itll go in with help, but it sticks coming out

I'll disagree in that crud under it will only effect one chamber. Don't think the assembly has enough "slop"
to allow it to be "tipped" that much. Have to think it got bent a bit, easy enough to just pull it out and have a look.
If memory is correct the retainer screw is left hand thread and may want a bit of heat to help loosen it if it's not
been apart in a while. Actually I'd think you could tell with out even taking it apart.
A chamber with crud or a burr as already posted is also possible but again should not keep the extractor from
fitting flush all around. Now if you had a sticky chamber and really smacked the ejector doing a "combat" reload
maybe it could have bent the extractor "teeth" just a bit.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah a picture would help.
Is the gun totally clean? One of the "teeth" on that star is bent or it's fouling stuck to it?

bobski

Hunter
the projectile goes in, and once the brass tries to enter, it sticks up in the air. in order to insert the round, you must push it. not hard, but with slight help. then, when you eject after firing, all others fall out, and the bad one stays in.
you can see a scratch in the brass.
the hang up is right at the very end of the finger. all the other fingers align with the cyl orfices.
and ALL fingers are flush with the cyl face.

hittman

Staff member
How clean is the gun?

Sometimes if a bunch of 38 Specials were fired a ring will develop inside the cylinder making a 357 hard to insert but that doesn't seem like the case here.

Clean that cylinder with solvent and a brush.

Starting with a blank slate so-to-speak ( a CLEAN gun ) is a must.

OK, lets see if I have this correct.

The ejector "fingers" (star) fits in the cylinder flush but 1 "finger" protrudes into the chamber (perpendicular to the chamber wall) enough to cause the round not to enter the chamber as it should?

My first suggestion would be to take another ejector from another Security Six series revolver (they are all the same) and install it and see what happens. It is possible that at some time in the past, something hit that particular "finger" and peened it a very little bit and that is what is causing it. How it could have happened I have no idea, but I've seen stranger things happen over the years.

Okay, it sounds like the extractor star is bent, if I understand correctly. You're probably going to need a replacement. You might be able to buy a used extractor star/ratchet here or a cylinder assembly off of eBay that you can take the part off of.

Bent or twisted, doesn't really matter. take it out and gently try to form it back ,or, and I'd be more likely to do this
if it a tiny amount, is just file/grind down a bit of the tip sticking out. Sounds like it might only be .020-.030 if it's just scratching the brass.
Touching a burr off the offending tip isn't going to hurt anything...Dremel with a fine stone wouldn't even have to take it apart.

jgt

Buckeye
Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. If it was twisted then it would happen to all the cylinders. If bent it would not fit flush into the cylinder face. It may be able to be dressed down with a file if the defect is in a certain area, but likely the star will need to be replaced with one made correctly. I'd call Ruger.

Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. If it was twisted then it would happen to all the cylinders. If bent it would not fit flush into the cylinder face. It may be able to be dressed down with a file if the defect is in a certain area, but likely the star will need to be replaced with one made correctly. I'd call Ruger.

Ruger won't do anything because they stopped making the Six series in 1988 and no longer have any parts for them. You can find parts on eBay, Gunbroker and www.gunpartscorp.com (Numrich Arms). If those places don't have what you need, let me know, I have some.

Last edited: