Ruger P Series pistols. How good are/were they?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
I am looking at my P85 manual on hand right now. The very last page on the back cover of the manual. It talks of the Magnuson-Mosd act, etc. The very last sentence is what I was referring to as Ruger wishes to assure it's customers of it's continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.........if that doesn't sound like a "type of long time warranty",. I don't know what else does. That is how I related to that sentence.

Frigateman

Bearcat
The P series generally means when the 9mm version was coming out. At that time in the '80's especially, the 9mm was the rage. Other brands were out there of course, as in the Browning Hi- Power, the Sigs, the Beretta, etc. Ruger came out with the P85, to want to compete with these and also to take part in the US Army tests for the new handgun service weapon. To me, the term "P" series term originated here. ......Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is the way it came down ......I am not referring to the 22 semi auto that put Ruger on the map way back when. Sure Ruger had semi autos, but not in the "larger bore 9mm type".......And thank goodness, I am not on any meds.......Good luck with the P90.
This has probably already been responded to as I haven't gotten through the 7 pages yet, but it was Ruger's first polymer framed pistol. Thus the hype, etc.

Frigateman

Bearcat
My P95DC is the first pistol I bought as an adult. I dusted it off about 6 years ago and have been enjoying it ever since. It has never occurred to me to consider it for CC, but then again I don't consider any of my full-sizers for CC. It's been a great gun except for one thing - it hates Magtech 115gr fmj, which one of the ranges I go to makes me use. It will jam at least twice per mag with that ammo. I don't shoot it at that range any more.

Star43

Blackhawk
This has probably already been responded to as I haven't gotten through the 7 pages yet, but it was Ruger's first polymer framed pistol. Thus the hype, etc.
Yes, the P95 was Ruger's first Polymer type of pistol but back in the 80's and 90''s when the P85, P85 MK11, P89, P90, P91, came out , they were all steel and aluminum framed. The P95 and the P97 were of the polymer, long strand fiberglass frames. But the original P series was all metal.

Star43

Blackhawk
My P95DC is the first pistol I bought as an adult. I dusted it off about 6 years ago and have been enjoying it ever since. It has never occurred to me to consider it for CC, but then again I don't consider any of my full-sizers for CC. It's been a great gun except for one thing - it hates Magtech 115gr fmj, which one of the ranges I go to makes me use. It will jam at least twice per mag with that ammo. I don't shoot it at that range any more.
The P95 is an excellent gun. I love mine! Why would a range make you use one type of bullet? I guess they want to sell you the Magtech stuff? Tell them of your problem and if that doesn't help, find another range !!! 🙂👍

Frigateman

Bearcat
Yes, the P95 was Ruger's first Polymer type of pistol but back in the 80's and 90''s when the P85, P85 MK11, P89, P90, P91, came out , they were all steel and aluminum framed. The P95 and the P97 were of the polymer, long strand fiberglass frames. But the original P series was all metal.
lol, yes I just went on gunbroker and saw the earlier models were metal frame. My knowledge goes only so far!

Frigateman

Bearcat
The P95 is an excellent gun. I love mine! Why would a range make you use one type of bullet? I guess they want to sell you the Magtech stuff? Tell them of your problem and if that doesn't help, find another range !!! 🙂👍
I live in the city and every indoor range makes you buy ammo from them. They do it because there are so many idiots out there that bring ammo they shouldn't to the ranges.

Star43

Blackhawk
I live in the city and every indoor range makes you buy ammo from them. They do it because there are so many idiots out there that bring ammo they shouldn't to the ranges.
Well as far as this range is concerned, explain your situation and ask if they can offer another brand that works better in your gun.....Maybe you could try a simple fix and clean it after each use with that ammo ? I have used Magtech a couple of times in my P95 and it worked ok for me. Either way, it's just a thought. Good luck with your gun and enjoy shooting it. 🙂🙂👍

mac66

Single-Sixer
I bought my used P97 about 20 years ago from an acquaintance who needed some money. Got it cheap. Never had much use or interest in double action autos but the more I used the P97 the more I liked it. It is my woods carry gun now.

bearden

Bearcat
I carried a p series (p85,p89,p93) working for the state all were dependable, always went bang in all weather and training and never had problems, even when poorly maintained. They were a good firearm but nothing special about accuracy, but accuracy is greatly dependent on the operator.

Star43

Blackhawk
Personally for me, when I go shooting, which I haven't had much chance lately , I always take my Hi Power, and a SIG, and my P95. I shoot all 3 very well, but always do slightly better with my P95. Every single time....

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Which City? Not all the ranges in Philly make you buy their ammo.

I know that Firing Line does, but Double Tap in NE Philly lets me bring my own...they just check it to make sure it's not steel core/AP. Ready Aim Fire out in Bristol is (at least used to be) a pretty nice range, too and they let you use whatever.

Don't want to sidetrack the topic, but shoot me a PM if you want to talk Philly ranges.

Aqualung