P345 shooting a bit high for my taste

In This Section We Will Discuss Proper Methods of Maintenance & Repair of Ruger Made Firearms.

Moderator: Moderators

gb6491
Single-Sixer

P345 shooting a bit high for my taste

Post by gb6491 »

I've run some rounds through a P345 I picked up recently and found it reliable (no issues at all). It also groups well, but the sights seem setup for "Bullseye" shooting (six o'clock hold gives 10 ring hits on a reduced size, slow fire target ten yards). I prefer to have my pistols shoot to right above the front sight post at that range. There are not a lot of aftermarket sights for the 345, but Ruger did/does have some OEM rear sights available.
I decided to pick one of these up and file it down enough to bring the point of impact down. The problem with this is that the amount of material I need to remove would cut into the white dots on the sight:
I figured this would be rather unsightly, so I decided to remove the dots completely. Out comes the Dremel tool:
Then some work with "diamond" files:
Height is now where I want it:
...cut the slot a little deeper as well:
Parkerized and mounted on the slide:
Pretty pleased with it now;
Regards,
Greg
gb6491
Single-Sixer

Re: P345 shooting a bit high for my taste

Post by gb6491 »

BTW, as I cut the sight slot deeper, I decided to take a little material off the LCI.
I forgot to take a "before" photo, but this shot from http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ss/...m#step-heading is representative:
After:
Not a lot taken off, but there's no LCI in the sight picture:)
Regards,
Greg
Snyd
Single-Sixer

Post by Snyd »

Nice job. I've had a P345 for a few years and like it a lot.

Question, what load are you shooting?
pyth0n
Buckeye

Post by pyth0n »

Nice clean work. IIRC the sights are regulated for 230 gr. @ 25 yds. so they would necessarily be to point of aim at 10 yards. Any Bulls eye match I've been to was 25 & 50 yards. I too like the 345.
Any man who is under 30, & is not a liberal, has no heart & any man who is over 30, & is not a conservative, has no brains." Winston Churchill
I Pledge Allegiance Not Thoughtless Obedience
gb6491
Single-Sixer

Post by gb6491 »

Snyd wrote:Nice job. I've had a P345 for a few years and like it a lot.

Thanks! I was shooting 230 grain ball, 230 grain RNL reloads, and 230 grain Golden Saber.
pyth0n wrote:Nice clean work. IIRC the sights are regulated for 230 gr. @ 25 yds. so they would necessarily be to point of aim at 10 yards. Any Bulls eye match I've been to was 25 & 50 yards. I too like the 345.

Thanks and you are of course correct about the distances of that Bull's eye matches are shot at and the regulation of the sights. I probably would have been better served to just say it was shooting so many inches high at ten yards.

FWIW, POA/POI is right on top of the front sight post at ten yards now and I carried the 345 on this morning's hike.:)

Regards,
Greg
GP100man
Buckeye

Post by GP100man »

Good Job on the rear site massage !!!!

I love my P345DC with 180gr cast HPs at 20yds they hit rite where the front post is & `bout 1 1/2" hi with 230ball
GP100man

The Only Thing That Limits A Man Is His Imagination !!
pyth0n
Buckeye

Post by pyth0n »

gb6491 wrote:
Snyd wrote:Nice job. I've had a P345 for a few years and like it a lot.

Thanks! I was shooting 230 grain ball, 230 grain RNL reloads, and 230 grain Golden Saber.
pyth0n wrote:Nice clean work. IIRC the sights are regulated for 230 gr. @ 25 yds. so they would necessarily be to point of aim at 10 yards. Any Bulls eye match I've been to was 25 & 50 yards. I too like the 345.

Thanks and you are of course correct about the distances of that Bull's eye matches are shot at and the regulation of the sights. I probably would have been better served to just say it was shooting so many inches high at ten yards.

FWIW, POA/POI is right on top of the front sight post at ten yards now and I carried the 345 on this morning's hike.:)

Regards,
Greg

Glad it worked out for you.
Any man who is under 30, & is not a liberal, has no heart & any man who is over 30, & is not a conservative, has no brains." Winston Churchill
I Pledge Allegiance Not Thoughtless Obedience