P345 shooting a bit high for my taste

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
I've run some rounds through a P345 I picked up recently and found it reliable (no issues at all). It also groups well, but the sights seem setup for "Bullseye" shooting (six o'clock hold gives 10 ring hits on a reduced size, slow fire target ten yards). I prefer to have my pistols shoot to right above the front sight post at that range. There are not a lot of aftermarket sights for the 345, but Ruger did/does have some OEM rear sights available.
I decided to pick one of these up and file it down enough to bring the point of impact down. The problem with this is that the amount of material I need to remove would cut into the white dots on the sight:
2ryikqf.jpg

I figured this would be rather unsightly, so I decided to remove the dots completely. Out comes the Dremel tool:
2myqeqc.jpg

Then some work with "diamond" files:
2qib3hs.jpg

Height is now where I want it:
10dt7jm.jpg

...cut the slot a little deeper as well:
xgd3ih.jpg

Parkerized and mounted on the slide:
23semwp.jpg

Pretty pleased with it now;
2db77tf.jpg

33pdem9.jpg

Regards,
Greg

gb6491

Single-Sixer
BTW, as I cut the sight slot deeper, I decided to take a little material off the LCI.
I forgot to take a "before" photo, but this shot from http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ss/...m#step-heading is representative:
2cem06h.jpg

After:
npgil1.jpg

Not a lot taken off, but there's no LCI in the sight picture:)
Regards,
Greg

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Nice job. I've had a P345 for a few years and like it a lot.

Question, what load are you shooting?

pyth0n

Buckeye
Nice clean work. IIRC the sights are regulated for 230 gr. @ 25 yds. so they would necessarily be to point of aim at 10 yards. Any Bulls eye match I've been to was 25 & 50 yards. I too like the 345.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Snyd said:

Thanks! I was shooting 230 grain ball, 230 grain RNL reloads, and 230 grain Golden Saber.
pyth0n said:
Nice clean work. IIRC the sights are regulated for 230 gr. @ 25 yds. so they would necessarily be to point of aim at 10 yards. Any Bulls eye match I've been to was 25 & 50 yards. I too like the 345.
Thanks and you are of course correct about the distances of that Bull's eye matches are shot at and the regulation of the sights. I probably would have been better served to just say it was shooting so many inches high at ten yards.

FWIW, POA/POI is right on top of the front sight post at ten yards now and I carried the 345 on this morning's hike.:)

Regards,
Greg

GP100man

Buckeye
Good Job on the rear site massage !!!!

I love my P345DC with 180gr cast HPs at 20yds they hit rite where the front post is & `bout 1 1/2" hi with 230ball

pyth0n

Buckeye
gb6491 said:
Snyd said:

Thanks! I was shooting 230 grain ball, 230 grain RNL reloads, and 230 grain Golden Saber.
pyth0n said:
Thanks and you are of course correct about the distances of that Bull's eye matches are shot at and the regulation of the sights. I probably would have been better served to just say it was shooting so many inches high at ten yards.

FWIW, POA/POI is right on top of the front sight post at ten yards now and I carried the 345 on this morning's hike.:)

Regards,
Greg
Glad it worked out for you.