Super Black Hawk Hunter Bisley 45 Colt Value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AKMATT

Bearcat
I have one of these and it has been sitting in the safe for a few years. Maybe 60 rounds through it. Being as big as it is, I don't see taking it out hunting too much in the future. Maybe another go for black bear from a stand.

I know they made only a few hundred originally and then made some more. I haven't seen one for sale in a while.
What would the value be in today's market? Original box, etc.

Matt

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Anywhere from $750-$900. A used one sold last week for $800 online. Took about a week to sell.

I agree, and I think if it was not one of the originals and was a parts cleanup gun, the $700.00 for a clean copy is apropiate, the the originals would be closer to the $900.00 mark for a clean fired copy. I have seen them listed for more but this seems to be about the top end anyone has gotten for them. I also agree about selling here, maybe drop a link on Single Action Forums to the classifieds sale here. Lotta 45 Colt shooters on that forum.

s4s4u

Hunter
A couple years ago a friend listed his lightly used one on gunbroker with a $1,300 buy now. Should have been higher as it didn't last long. Not to say that is the going rate, but it is out there.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
I think these guys are all low for a 45 Colt Bisley Hunter. It will bring $1000-1300 if it's as nice as you say with box, rings, etc. I know mine is not for sale. It's one of the first 278. Here is a quote from the old Lipseys web page.

"There were two runs of this model. The original run ran between 2005 to 2006 and consisted of 278 guns delivered. Another 46 guns have trickled in between 2008 to 2010, most of which are part of the parts cleanup Ruger has been doing the last few years. The Ruger Hunter, the Bisley gripframe, and the 45 Colt cartridge are a natural combination. Recently, we have received an additional 68 of these guns in 2011 as part of another parts cleanup. Note the change in the quantity produced."

I think they made a few more ending up at about 400 45 BisHunters.

Here is another tidbit of info...

Reply from Jason Cloessner @ Lipseys regarding my 45 Hunter :

"We indeed have those guns commissioned by Ruger. They sold extremely well. There were two models, one with the standard Super Blackhawk gripframe and one with the Bisley gripframe. There were a total of 603 of the standard ones made and 279 of the Bisley models. The odd numbers are a result of overruns of parts and we decided to use them for the extra units. One interesting piece of Ruger trivia is that to my knowledge it is the only 45LC that Ruger made with non-fluted and/or non-engraved cylinders. Enjoy your new gun, its about the perfect all-around hunting revolver made."

Bis_Hunter_0866_cert.jpg

Snyd

Single-Sixer
AKMATT said:
I have one of these and it has been sitting in the safe for a few years. Maybe 60 rounds through it. Being as big as it is, I don't see taking it out hunting too much in the future. Maybe another go for black bear from a stand.

It's great hunting gun. I've packed mine with 2x or 4x scope on numerous hunts as my primary/only weapon including 2 sheep hunts and a Kodiak deer hunt a year ago last November. I plan on packing it sheep hunting again this year. No ram yet but I got 3 bucks on Kodiak. 355gr wfn at 1200fps makes good bear protection round also.

Well Snyd may be right,, but finding the right guy might be a little hard for that kind of money. But I guess if I put a value on mine I suppose closer to $1500.00, as right now that would be the least I would consider for it, knowing that finding another is very rare? But how many would go a 1K on a used Ruger when your getting close to used FA money???

But it cost anything to run it for a while, and like others said, start high you'll never be able to go up on anyone's offer, and you can always go lower. Like Snyd mine is all I need for deer sized game and yes, it is a shooter, 250 grain WFN or my favorite 340 grain WFN,,, it is my favorite hunting revolver.
MG_6391.jpg

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Your targets look like mine! Great setup and nice shootin.

I just picked up a FA 83 454 7.5". I've always wanted one ever since I held one years ago. I think every SA fan needs an FA just cuz. But I sure like the way the scope sits on the Hunter and in my Wyoming Combo Holster it's a nice packable setup. And packin 6 with the transfer bar adds to it as well.

One of the biggest thing that I noticed early on with the Super Blackhawk Bisley hunter, was it's ability to hold same POI with the super heavyweights and the standard bullets. I'm talking 340-350 grain to 240-250 grain. I found a load right off the bat with the 340 grain I had made to my spec's by Mountain Molds.

But when I started working up a load with the 250 grain I designed at Mountain molds with the same nose dimensions, I started noticing my POI was not changing. I even loaded some of the 255 SWC bullets I had from an old Lyman mold and got the same results. It did not mater if it was the starting charge or the "very" Ruger Only loads that this revolver seems to prefer. Everything I was loading was plenty close enough for 50 yard hunting for game as small as Ground Hogs to as big as Moose. These Targets below were shot back to back, and after seeing them was when the scope was moved foreward in the ring's, and both sights and scoped zeroed. Open sight or scope in place both loads shoot together. I believe the heavy rib on the barrel is what keeps the POI so steady because of controlling barrel rise? But out past 50 yards is where the big 340 shines!
XD7_P1485-_II.jpg

The scope as you mentioned was why I bought this gun. As my eyes changed, I needed something for those first and last legal hunting hours. I was hoping the Ruger would hold it's zero removing and replacing the scope, as I wanted to still use the open sights when I had full daylight to see them, as I did some pre purchase investigating and found a couple scopes that would fit between the open sights. It has worked great. Allowing me to hunt the first hour or so if predawn to good light where I can again see my sights well enough to hunt with, I remove the scope till I am again getting into the last light of the day, when I replace the scope from my pack and hunt them last few hours of legal light with the optics knowing I have my zero for out to 70 yards or so in the lower light, and it only takes a hey or quarter from my pocket to unscrew and re tighten it. This is why I say I wouldn't consider less than $1500.00, and that would probably go up I ever thought someone would be willing to give that for one of these fine limited run of revolvers.

These were the seasons I hang on to this revolver, and the older these old eyes get the more valuable this becomes. I could have, and did scope my 7.5" FA in 454, but many times I wished I could remove it and use the open sights. Once I bought this revolver, I sold both my FA's one 6" with both cylinders and open sights, and the 7.5" scoped, hunting in the eastern US I just did not have a need for the hotter 454 loads. the 7.5" I don't miss, the 6" was one of my biggest regrets selling any gun I ever owned!

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Your experiences mirror mine. My 355gr 1200fps load is same poa/poi as my 255gr 950ish fps plinker load out to about 50yds. I had one of those 2X weavers on mine for years. Last year a buddy gave me a 4X leupold, same dimensions as the Weaver. I like it better at 100-150yds. In a field position with some type of rest or steadying on something I can be more precise. Off hand the increase scope wiggle is there but I seem to have gotten used to it. I sold the Weaver and wish I had'nt. It's a great scope. This is my "longer range" open country, Dall Sheep hunting gun. If conditions are right and I can't get any closer I'm confident out to 150yds. Moose hunting is with the 500L open sights.

Being able to remove the scope in the field and have open sights and 6 in the cylinder is a big plus. For me it's not so much for hunting in the brush but for bear protection busting brush getting in and out of the high country. Ruger nailed it with this gun.

Latest posts