Thinking of changing grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
When I bought my 5.5 SBH, in 1989, (used), it had these pachmayr's on it... They are fine, but are a bit to large. I am thinking of going back to basic wood, or some micarta grips that will let me be a little quicker with the gun...
Are there other choices? Something new that my searches don't reveal?
This gun collects lint and rust and is out in the elements a lot ...... Anywhoo.... If you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them... And I have been out of the loop for awhile....
Thanks.....

aUgXyKKl.jpg

daveg.inkc

Hunter
The Ruger grips will be smaller. I like the Presentations because of rubber down on round trigger guard. Keeps my middle finger knuckle from being smacked on recoil. I find the Ivory grips that Ruger sells as being larger than wood panels. So, I use several of faux Ivory.

hittman

Staff member
Everybody's different but ..... for me I'd think about a Bisley grip frame for the big bore single actions.

I agree the rubbers are a little big but don't know of a rubber grip the same size as the original wood.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Micarta is tough and practical for a working/hunting gun. Send your grip frame to Zane at Lone Star Custom Grips. He just did some Micarta for my Bisley Hunter. I had him put some palm swell and they are sweet.

https://www.lonestarcustomgrips.com/photo-gallery.html

P4100004.jpg

P4100005.jpg

P4100010.jpg

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Snyd said:
Micarta is tough and practical for a working/hunting gun. Send your grip frame to Zane at Lone Star Custom Grips. He just did some Micarta for my Bisley Hunter. I had him put some palm swell and they are sweet.

https://www.lonestarcustomgrips.com/photo-gallery.html

P4100004.jpg

P4100005.jpg

P4100010.jpg
. Your new grips look good. Big difference in palm area. Bet that shoots sweet!

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I appreciate all the input...
I will have to be relegated to factory grips just because of my financial position in life..... And even those seem to have gone up a lot! And when I see they are made of birch... and they want over $50, for machine cut....
And here I am surrounded by birch tree's that I cut and burn in my woodstove!... :)

When I get a bit of time I'll look into some of the recommendations you have given.. They just need to be simple, and plain, because they wont stay pretty very long!!

Thanks again!!

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I really like seeing pics of that gun. I would think in your environment a synthetic might work better than wood. I have these on a couple Vaqueros. They are thicker than the factory wood which helps with recoil.

http://www.hogueinc.com/new-blackhawk-vaquero-bl-micarta-cowboy-panels

Dan

FWIW, I'd consider taking a file to them and shave some of the rubber down where it bothers you the most, probably around the bottom in the front. Take them off and see how much shaving you can do, and still have material there. Make them "custom" to your own hand.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
BPJ.... when you said "file".. did you mean with a bench grinder?... :)

And by the way.. the .44 has no kills....... but the shotgun rifles and other revolvers have....... I'll post a few...
I may just grind a bit.. since I'm not in love with the grips..... and maybe I'll even try wittling a pair this winter in the dim of the cabin....

CraigC

Hawkeye
The only factory grips that are birch are the laminates, which isn't really the same as natural birch, which is really too soft. If you want something that works well but is in the price range of factory grips, I would strongly suggest the Hogue cowboy panels. They're thicker, shaped right and infinitely more comfortable than the factory grips. Which, IMHO, are crap.

IMG_9896b.jpg

gunzo

Hunter
How about I send you a pair of factory XR3-REDS & you send me one of your leather can koozies with the cartridge loops that you used to make? If boot needs to be added, we can talk.

Gunzo in KY.

Dirknar

Bearcat
dixie cat said:
Z1nRYhl.jpg

Patrick grashorn will wake you a set like this for 200.00 or less,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That is a beauty!! 44 or 45? My new screensaver.