Wax loads for carpenter bees

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JFB

Hunter
A few weeks ago, there was a comment in a post about snake shot for carpenter bees, I even saw a vid where that 22 guy was doing good. But I though hard shot would have a chance to do damage I don't won't (My truck has a crease in the fender where I was swinging boat paddle at bees)

So I though wax shot out of my 44 Alaskan would be fun.
I drill the flash hole, filed the cases with rice and then poured hot wax into warmed cases. after cooling,put in a primer

I don't have "free" time so it took me several days to load a few of these rounds and today I tried them out.

WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME

One bee, in a steady hover 5 feet away. Unloaded the cylinder and it didn't flinch. Reloaded and found another, 4 feet away two shots, and nothing. The bee then flew to investigate the hole in the end of the barrel and from 6" I did blew it away (not sure it was killed)

grobin

Blackhawk
Years ago a friend had a problem with them. He got some Freon powered auto bb guns and equipped them with servos and mics with a micro comp to aim them. He got a few bees but then other guns started tracking him so he decomed the guns. Wound up getting a pro exterminator.

I tried an airsoft full auto on the bees years back. It was a TON of FUN but the airsoft I had wasn't accurate enough. Still, it was fun to send a string of "tracers" on the path of the flying bees.
Soon, I'll have to park all the vehicles outside and hose the open carport and garage with insecticide--that's the only way to control them and even that is temporary.

gunzo

Hunter
"My truck has crease in the fender where I was swinging a boat paddle at the bees"

Please accept my apologies, but when I read that I laughed, & laughed some more. Heck, it got funny again while I was typing this.
I'll see your fender & raise you a hole in my garage roof. It happened when I was bee fighting & doing a tactical reload. A solid had gotten mixed in with my shot shells.

Those dang bees do a lot of damage & folks chasing them do more!

JFB

Hunter
gunzo said:
. . . I'll see your fender & raise you a hole in my garage roof.. .
:shock: I fold!

Mobuck said:
and hose the open carport and garage with insecticide--that's the only way to control them and even that is temporary.

Two years ago I was able to use the the tractor sprayer, chased the airborne and soak the surfaces they bored into with "Taurus" Termiticide.
It took a couple days,but it put them on the ground (more of them than I thought) and none seen last year. Unfortunately I don't think I am able to spray this year.

grobin

Blackhawk
¡THANKS! Looks like fun. At my altitude i don't get carpenter need but get ground wasps, wounded his it will work on them.

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
Not as much carpenter bees, but cicada wasps. We got an infestation a few years ago. I used a Keystone Cricket with CCI .22 birdshot and went on several hunting expeditions. Killed quite a few.

krf

Mus408

Hunter
I got lucky and hit one with my 12 ga. pump birdshot. It buried what was left in a hole couple inches deep!

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
The most effective weapon I have used against carpenter bees as well as bumblebees, wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets is the ballcap on my head. Bees, wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets do not fly very fast and like to hover in the air and are easy to whack out of the air onto the ground with a hat, and then step on with your boot before they fly off again. I've killed hundreds of those flying pests that way.

Flies are a different story. A hat is typically not fast enough to smack one, you need a flyswatter.

Here are threads with other ways of loading for these pests: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?367627-Bees-again
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?329503-Tis-the-Season
gramps

grobin

Blackhawk
Thanks! The walnut polishing media over 1.4gr of Unique sounds interesting.

I usually take a less fun approach though. Just fill a spray bottle with household ammonia and they drop dead when hit. Works on all the flying insects we've tried it on: carpenter bees, wasps, mud daubers, deer flys.