Is cylinder reaming necessary for average shooter?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GP100man

Buckeye
Different caliber but here`s my take on truing the cyl throats & cleaning up the forcing cone.

6" GP100 , good shooter 2.5 " at 25 with jacketed & just a bit better with 359" lead & lead to clean out after 25 rounds as accuracy would drop off a bit .

Reamed the throats & cleaned up the forcing cone.

Turned the gun into a 1 holer (benched) no more flyers, no more lead to peel out of the barrel.
Dougguy did the work to all my guns .

A drove to his house ,I then removed the cyls. as he worked his magic on em, the longest drive was back home ,I couldn't wait to shoot em to see if they still leaded any the step up in accuracy I considered a +.

The same also happened to a 4" blue GP100, it`s my everyday carry & will be buried with me!!

Hats off to Dougguy !!!!!

GP100man

scubadad

Bearcat
GP100man said:
Different caliber but here`s my take on truing the cyl throats & cleaning up the forcing cone.

6" GP100 , good shooter 2.5 " at 25 with jacketed & just a bit better with 359" lead & lead to clean out after 25 rounds as accuracy would drop off a bit .

Turned the gun into a 1 holer (benched) no more flyers, no more lead to peel out of the barrel.

A drove to his house ,I then removed the cyls. as he worked his magic on em, the longest drive was back home ,I couldn't wait to shoot em to see if they still leaded any the step up in accuracy I considered a +.

The same also happened to a 4" blue GP100, it`s my everyday carry & will be buried with me!!

GP100man

Just sent my cylinder to Doug. After everything I read here I have no doubts in the quality of his work.

What is required to clean up the forcing cone??

GP100man

Buckeye
My forcing cones are the factory angles & as I remember we opted to leave em the same angle but cut em just enuff to smooth em out as they were ruff as a cobb.

An angled cutter head was used & worked it thru the muzzle , stopping each turn to clear the blades of shavings, now they`re smooth & do not catch lead in the slightest !!

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
scubadad said:
GP100man said:

GP100man

Just sent my cylinder to Doug. After everything I read here I have no doubts in the quality of his work.

What is required to clean up the forcing cone??

Look into renting the forcing cone cutter kit from 4D rentals, they have a really well done video showing how to install and use the cutter. Anyone with enough mechanical skills to replace a battery in a car can so this. Cut until it feels smooth, then LOOK OFTEN to make sure you don't go too far. You want to see the cutter reach the top of the lands, but not make the fire ring any thinner at the barrel face.

isaactc

Bearcat
First thing is buy the revolver, Then measure the throats with 0.452 and 0.453 pin gages. If they are undersized, I might suggest Cylinderhone.com. Very inexpensive, and you wont risk making a mistake on any of the throats. I have had Doug do two Blackhawks, A Redhawk, and A GP-100. The work was perfect. It cost me about $5 more (incl. shipping) than renting to tools, and turn around is very fast! Good pin gages are available on Amazon or eBay for about $100. You will use them often.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
isaactc said:
First thing is buy the revolver, Then measure the throats with 0.452 and 0.453 pin gages. If they are undersized, I might suggest Cylinderhone.com. Very inexpensive, and you wont risk making a mistake on any of the throats. I have had Doug do two Blackhawks, A Redhawk, and A GP-100. The work was perfect. It cost me about $5 more (incl. shipping) than renting to tools, and turn around is very fast! Good pin gages are available on Amazon or eBay for about $100. You will use them often.

Thank you for the reference, however Cylinderhone.com is a company specializing in rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. Send 'em to my facebook page in my signature..

Latest posts