GP100 Reassembly Issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hhilljr

Bearcat
Hello
I'm having a very difficult time reassembling my GP100 10mm. I cannot get the trigger guard to fully latch back into the frame. I've smoothed out a few rough edges and removed a burr or two, but there is still a hairline gap towards the rear of the trigger guard. I can pull it back out with just my hands, no pressing in on the latch. The line of the frame and trigger guard do not line up as they do on my other GP. I took a couple of pictures , but don't know how to display them here.

I've had and worked on three other SP101s, so I'm familiar with how it is supposed to work. Anyone else had this issue, and what did you do to correct it?
Thanks.

NikA

Buckeye
If you're certain it's not bound on the edges, use a mallet or wood block and reasonable force. The trigger group on Ruger revolvers is tight by design and it's easy to get them seated part way but not quite all the way. Most of the ones I've worked with have taken at least one good tap.

hhilljr

Bearcat
I have used a plastic tipped gunsmith hammer with pretty hard whacks. I've been tempted to clamp it in a padded vise, but I'm not to that point yet.

woodsy

Blackhawk
It may depend on "when" you whack. By that I mean to not wait until the group is almost all the way in, but whack when there is still a quite visible gap. That allows for momentum (from the whack) to (ever so slightly) go almost past the point of full closure and give the latch that microsecond to engage. Don't ask how I know this, having one GP and two SP's.

Remove the trigger group and use a punch to press in on the latch pin to make sure it moves smoothly. If it doesn't drive the cross pin out and remove the latch pin and spring to see what the problem may be.

If it moves smoothly, then look at the GP frame where the latch pin goes in. It should be a smooth channel to allow the latch pin to go up and into the frame. Check for burrs, especially at the front where the latch pin first contacts the frame. A burr there will prevent the latch pin from going in smoothly and then popping out as it goes up farther. Also check the channel itself to make sure it is shaped correctly to have the latch pin mate correctly when fully inserted. If it's too narrow the latch pin won't go in correctly and won't latch correctly.

When Ruger builds the guns I don't believe they test them to see if they can be disassembled and put back together easily, so when it is put together and tested it then goes into the box and out the door.

GP100man

Buckeye
I`ve had 3 GPs that I had to remove the plunger & smooth up the surface where it meets the frame. Maybe even removed a bit of material ??. But certainly clean all apparent burrs first .

May I suggest disassembling the trigger group completely to see if it fits& if not then you can clean it up without fear of losing parts.

I must ask the most obvious question , the transfer bar is free ??? it can catch on firing pin or frame & cause issues .

A burr in the front can keep from going forward enuff to seat properly, so look there also.

It seems every one I`ve had issues with the trigger group seating it`s been something different.

small taps should jar it enuff to seat it.

GP100man

hhilljr

Bearcat
Good comments, I appreciate the suggestions.

I have removed all the trigger guard components to eliminate any interference from them. The fit didn't change, so I'm OK there. There was a burr in the trigger spring plunger hole which I removed, and I have gently tried to smooth up the frame where the plunger latches. Since the rear line between the housing and the frame doesn't quite line up either, I suspected an issue at the front of the frame, but I haven't yet found anything there that should cause issues.

I bought marking compound (lipstick) last night to try to find high spots somewhere. I'll keep searching. It does seem as suggested that Ruger gets them together, and out they go. They must use a press for assembly.

kwh

Bearcat
I had that same problem with one of my SP101's. The problem was the transfer firing pin bar sitting too far to the right,not obvious at first. After much trial and error and a few days later, I figured it out and used a punch to move the transfer bar into the correct place. Unit then easily snapped into place.
It is the only one of my SP101's that does this and I must guide the bar into place each time I reassemble the unit.
Hope you have the same easily correctable problem.