Three Screw Single Six Date of Manufacture?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Last week I picked up a nice three screw Single Six, the version with adjustable sights. 5 1/2" barrel. I would like to determine when it was made. SN is 5421XX. According to the information on the Ruger website, SN 187367 was the first SN produced in 1962. The next data point is SN 20-00001 in 1969. Nothing in between. Does anybody have some slightly more detailed information about when my 'new' Single Six was made?

Thanks

hittman

Staff member
I think "adjustable sights" = Super Single Six.

Super Single-Six Revolver
(Manufactured from 1964 to 1972)
Caliber: .22 LR

Beginning Serial Number: Years of Production:
500001 1964
502608 1965
517860 1966
528826 1967
547679 1968
566735 1969
60-13852 1970
60-52410 1971
60-81278 1972

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=73513

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Thanks

I thought Super meant it came with two cylinders. This one only has the 22LR cylinder, but I suppose a Mag cylinder may have existed at some time. Anyhow, it does have adjustable sights, and your information seems a bit more in the ball park.

Thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson said:
Thanks

I thought Super meant it came with two cylinders. This one only has the 22LR cylinder, but I suppose a Mag cylinder may have existed at some time. Anyhow, it does have adjustable sights, and your information seems a bit more in the ball park.

Thanks

Hi Driftwood,
The Supers were in a separate serial number range. which are on a different page from the one that you looked at. I wouldn't mind finding one. Was it a good price?

street

Hunter
The Super Single-Six Old Models had the following model numbers:
SC4
SC5
SC6

The "S" ment Super. The "C" meant convertible and the 4,5,6 meant 4 5/8 in. bl.,5 1/2 in. bl., 6 1/2 in. bl. All Super Single Sixes were Convertibles except for one or more of the Factory Plated guns that was sold to employees.

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
Thanks for getting me looking.

Makes my Old Model Single-Six 5 1/2" (20-218XX) a circa 1969 standard model covertable (although it only had the 22MAG cylinder with it when I bought it even though it's in mint condition).

street

Hunter
Ladobe said:
Thanks for getting me looking.

Makes my Old Model Single-Six 5 1/2" (20-218XX) a circa 1969 standard model covertable (although it only had the 22MAG cylinder with it when I bought it even though it's in mint condition).

Some of those Old Model Single-Sixes with the 20 and 21 prefix with the 5 1/2 in. bl. were single cylinder guns. But they were .22 only. Not .22 Mag only. After Ruger started making the convertibles in late 1959 or 1960, not real sure of the date, almost all Single-Sixes were convertibles. They made a few 6 1/2 in. bl. guns in .22 Mag. only and they made a few 5 1/2 in bl. guns in .22 only. Anyone having a 5 1/2 in bl. Single-Six with only a .22 cylinder, needs to call Ruger to get a letter. You will find a lot of guns with only the .22 cylinder but most of them are missing the Mag. cylinder. So far all Old Model Single-Sixes with 4 5/8 in. bl. and 9 1/2 bl. will be a convertible.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
flatgate said:
The SC4's are SCARCE! Around 200 made and they were not cataloged.

flatgate

I've been offered a "non cataloged" Security Six. Does someone mind telling me what that means. I have a guess but would like to make sure.

Thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
BeagleDog said:
flatgate said:
The SC4's are SCARCE! Around 200 made and they were not cataloged.

flatgate

I've been offered a "non cataloged" Security Six. Does someone mind telling me what that means. I have a guess but would like to make sure.

Thanks

Guns that got out the door in a configuration that ws not shown or listed in the catalog and usually in very small quantities. The SC4's mentioned by flatgate were "non cataloged". They turn into great collectibles.

What's the details on it, unusual barrel length?

flatgate

Hawkeye
BeagleDog said:

Thanks

Sure! It means a Double Action Ruger Revolver in such a configuration that it does NOT match anything shown in the catalogs. Now, is it a "Ruger Made" configuration or was it done after it was shipped from the Factory?

flatgate

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
flatgate said:
BeagleDog said:

Thanks

Sure! It means a Double Action Ruger Revolver in such a configuration that it does NOT match anything shown in the catalogs. Now, is it a "Ruger Made" configuration or was it done after it was shipped from the Factory?

flatgate

Thanks Flatgate. For you and Hondo44, please forgive me in saying at this time I have two questions for the gentleman that I am awaiting a return phone call on. Depending on his answers, I'm either buying it or passing. At that time, one way or the other I'll give details. All I really want to say at this time it is a 100% NIB factory made with either 5 or 6 known.

I apologize if I stole this thread, I just wanted to make sure my understanding of non cataloged was what you both kindly explained to me.