sp101 22 magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
They definitely thought about it.
Here's what I have on them in the "Reference of Ruger Firearms". We owned the first that we found...the owner we got it from wasn't able to fire any ammo through it so dumped it.

The SP-101 has long been rumored to have been experimented with in .22 Magnum. The first of three known was discovered in 2000. All three were shipped through normal distribution channels. The first two that appeared (as the model KSP-241) have a ".22 WIN MAG." rollmark on the barrel shroud. They are s/n's 572-85647 and 572-85708. The third gun, s/n 570-68353 was discovered in 2006 as a model KSP-240 (short lug) and has a ".22 L.R. CAL." rollmark over a ".22 MAG. CAL." rollmark in the normal position on the barrel lug. None of these three are able to fire .22 L.R. or .22 Mag. ammunition as none of the six chambers in either of the revolvers were completed. They remain the only SP-101's known to have a tie with the development of the model in .22 Mag.

Chet15

Joseywales

Bearcat
We should do our best to keep this thread alive. I have various brands of firearms in my safe, S&W, H&R, Colt, Ruger, etc. I have become obsessed with the 22 mag lately and can't believe the slim pickings for revolvers currently in production in this caliber, with more than 6 rounds. Mainly 3" or perhaps 4"

S&W 48 $$$$$ Possibly worth every penny, but no thanks
Taurus $$ - worth every penny, maybe. Lifetime warranty probably means a life long relationship with Taurus service department. I had an M66 357, the rear sight had to be moved so far over, I think the barrel is bent! I'll pass.
Charter Arms - ....maybe

Ideally, a GP100 or SP101 in 22 magnum. Heck, a forum member is selling a GP100 in 22 lr. That tank looks like it could fire two 22 magnum shells simultaneously and neither it or the shooter would notice. Why doesn't Ruger just make these guns in magnum and reap the rewards???

Folks can talk about the magnum ammo being more expensive than lr, blah, blah, blah. Shooters waste inexplicable millions of dollars every year on nonsense like 17 Mach 2, 22 TSW - whatever the heck that is, etc., etc. In North America, any hunting rifle other than .243 or 30-06 is a pure luxury item. There isn't anything you can't do with either of those calibers. Why would 22 magnum be any different? Build it and they will come. Full disclosure, I have a crate full of 17 Mach 2 ammo and a couple guns to match ; )

For self defense, the snub nose 22 mags seem to get attention. I like the idea of SD with a 22 magnum, but I was thinking nightstand, not front pocket. Lots of folks disagree though and to each their own. I'll say this, I've fired a few snub nose 38s and the Colt Detective Special handles recoil better than any of them. So grips/frames do matter and I naturally point a GP100 or SP101 better than any other revolver I can think of and I like the looks of many other revolvers a bit better, but it is what it is. The only time I was without my SP101 "125 Grain Only" revolver, was when my wife decided she needed it more than I did. She darn near shot it better than me as well. I remedied that situation when I found another one at a local shop. I was shocked to find it and the price was right. I guess some folks look down on the "125 Grain Only", but that prototype has excellent balance and handles recoil very well, IMO. I snapped it up.

Anyway, SP101 or GP100 in 22 magnum, 3", when can I order it?

grobin

Blackhawk
The 2 22mag I have are a Henry Mares leg (fun plinker, not so much use for anything else) and a NAA mini in 22LR and 22WMR its kind of a pain to shoot but for a last chance hold out its great. I'd like to see something like the single 10 in 22 WMR.

Joseywales

Bearcat
grobin said:
The 2 22mag I have are a Henry Mares leg (fun plinker, not so much use for anything else) and a NAA mini in 22LR and 22WMR its kind of a pain to shoot but for a last chance hold out its great. I'd like to see something like the single 10 in 22 WMR.

I'm looking for double action. There are already a few SA 22 magnums available.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I'd consider and sp101 in 22 magnum......with a 4 inch barrel it would be fine woods carry piece..

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I have a sp101 .22 factory high gloss with the serial number 572-85709, one number above the second .22 magnum 572-85708. at one time I was thinking on having two cylinder chambers reamed to .22 magnum to have a more versable woods revolver, .22 lr for just plinking and .22 magnum for a little more power if needed. I never went thru with it.

I am incredulous that Ruger would have shipped / released to the public three firearms that were in testing and never had the chambers fully bored. That sounds like a major screw-up by somebody. And begs the question if there was any QA in place to catch this before shipping?

Racer9

Single-Sixer
I'm with you guys on this! I've been looking for a .22WMR revolver for a while, even emailed Ruger to ask if they would consider a GP100 or SP101 in WMR, got a big fat NOPE! It's obvious they would sell. Even if they just made a WMR cylinder to add to the SP101.
Taurus, that tracker looks like a nice gun, but lots of quality problems.
Found an H&R reasonable, but UUUGLY!
S&W, even used and rough, they are going for well upwards of $500.
Colt, 4 digit prices!
I really want a DA with the swing out cylinder. I prefer Ruger, but I'll keep looking for an affordable S&W.
Man that SS Single Nine is really gorgeous, and keeps calling my name.
Ammo, I just bought Hornady 30gr V-Max .22WMR for 9.99/50. Ask for bulk purchase, $7.00?!?!?!?! Normal price $19.99 I got 2-10 box cases!
Shop is in Edinboro PA, just south of Erie on I-79 if you're in the area.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
First, I'd buy a new da/da target-hunting revolver in 22wrfm today.

Then, I guess not even Ruger engineers could improve on the SW m48 K frames.

eveled

Hawkeye
I've often wondered if we'd even have any .22 magnums if Ruger hadn't made the single six convertable. I think that revolver sold a lot of companion rifles and kept he cartridge from fading into obscurity.

I too would like to see a large .22 mag revolver. It's fun in a contender for sure.

Swamper

Bearcat
I am not picky. I would even accept a "lowly" six shooter SP101 with adjustable sights, half shroud, chambered in 22 magnum. I think they would also be well advised to bring one out in a 5.5 or 6 inch barrel version as well. The older I get, the more I am thinking that the heavy hitters I embraced in my youth will be less seen on my dance card. Much can be done with the 22LR and the 22 magnum.

Swamper

stoky

Bearcat
courtesy of DeSinett:
xa7aJ12.jpg

cbWQuyk.jpg

bhp9mm

Bearcat
Here are two pics of my factory 22 mag that doesn't chamber 22mag but 22lr fits in the cylinder with large gaps around it.

As something different, I can see an SP101 in 22WMR as a conversation piece. Now don't get mad at me but as a useful handgun, I don't see the 'greatness'.
Many years back, I had a Sentinal 9 w/4" barrel in 22WMR. This was well before the recent improvement in ammo but that thing was a DOG. Just as loud (from my perspective) as a 38 SP w/o any of what I'd call redeeming virtues. Just an opinion but I'd take a light load 38SP over a 22WMR any day of the week.
Consider this as "I told you so" in advance.

chet15

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
As something different, I can see an SP101 in 22WMR as a conversation piece. Now don't get mad at me but as a useful handgun, I don't see the 'greatness'.
Many years back, I had a Sentinal 9 w/4" barrel in 22WMR. This was well before the recent improvement in ammo but that thing was a DOG. Just as loud (from my perspective) as a 38 SP w/o any of what I'd call redeeming virtues. Just an opinion but I'd take a light load 38SP over a 22WMR any day of the week.
Consider this as "I told you so" in advance.

These are better for the collector value. I doubt very much that if somebody knows of the rarity of one of these, that they would shoot it. First off, they would need to finish off the chambers so a .22 Mag. will work in it.
Chet15

I have an S&W Model 651 in 4" with round butt. Not a pocket gun but nice for outdoors holster carry and I shoot it better than any of my smaller revolvers. Also have an 8 3/8" Model 48-2 that I use for a "Walking Varminter." Needs a shoulder rig for comfort.

Once had a 4" half-lug SP101 in .22 LR and think that would be a great .22 WRM.