P345 mag question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scubadad

Bearcat
I was gifted a p90 ruger mag with the plastic follower. Will this work in the p345? I have heard there can be problems with the mag disconnect safety.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I don't have a good answer for your query. But I do know that my KP90DC manufactured in 1991 will work with the 8 round magazines with metal followers but it won't lock back on an empty chamber. Only the 7 round plastic follower P90 mags will lock the slide back on an empty chamber.

I didn't answer your question but someone is sure to come along with some advice.

loaded round

Hunter
That P90 mag will not fit the P345 frame. There was a problem with the magazine safety on the P345 that when slightly bent could keep the pistol from firing. Most of us who have a P345 and fire it, completely remove this safety. This was affectionately called ''cleaning your rear sight''. A very easy procedure to follow since all the parts are under the rear sight.

stchman

Bearcat
I own (2) P90s and a P345. The mags are completely interchangeable. I did however remove the stupid magazine disconnect from the P345. All you need to do is remove the rear sight.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
My experience with P90 and P345 magazines mirrors stchman's "The mags are completely interchangeable".

\

I only run the mags with plastic followers in my P90 because the metal follower can gouge the the P90 frame.
I've not seen this happen with the plastic P345 frame, but I mostly run the plastic follower with it as well.

Dry firing a P345 without a magazine in place results in the firing pin colliding with the firing pin block. This could cause damage to either/both of the parts. Enough damage can occur to prevent the firing pin from setting off a chambered round.

I'd say it would be prudent that any P345 purchased these days should have the firing pin block and firing pin inspected.

Regards,
Greg

Latest posts