Speed Six 1st range outing for me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wagsfn

Bearcat
Last week I purchased a LNIB Speed Six w/2.75" barrel length. Searched for sometime before I found one locally at a reasonable price. Today I just had to hit the range with it, high winds gusts to boot! Took along my SP-100 357mag 2.25" & GP100 357mag Wiley Clapp 3" for comparisons. I brought Remington & Federal 125gr JHP & 158gr JHP ammo since that's what I have on hand for CCW. As I thought the 158gr was a hefty but manageable load with the Speed Six. I did find the small grips did allow for the revolver to tilt my grip upwards while rapid firing. My SP101 does the same with heavier loads.

The lighter 125gr. loads I could keep a constant and firm hold on ALSO like my SP101. I believe that's what I'll be carrying once my new OWB holster arrives. And as usual the GP100 handles all the 357mag loads like childs play. No complaints here. Overall I really like this Speed Six. Don't know why I didn't own one 35 + years ago when I had the opportunity. They've stood the test of time and now a desirable acquisition. In the accuracy department I'll have to take a pass this range outing. The winds & gusts were so high my 1/2" stapeled targets wouldn't stay on backers. But I was hitting where I was aiming at 15yds on the backer so I'm ok with that.
96Qrge8h.jpg

silverback

Blackhawk
All nice looking guns. For range practice pachmayr gripper grips will make shooting the speed six a pleasure. No sting and movement in the hand.

bogus bill

Hunter
Lockheed issued us guards stainless speed sixs. They kept a couple OP`s that mostly just me carried. I thought the speed six felt great in the hand. I am more of a smith guy and we also had some 586`s. They had the huge target grips and I preferred the lighter and less bulky guns as I was a OT hog and averaged 65 hours a week.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Wow, those are some nice looking revolvers, i am jealous!

dfletcher

Blackhawk
wagsfn said:
Last week I purchased a LNIB Speed Six w/2.75" barrel length. Searched for sometime before I found one locally at a reasonable price. Today I just had to hit the range with it, high winds gusts to boot! Took along my SP-100 357mag 2.25" & GP100 357mag Wiley Clapp 3" for comparisons. I brought Remington & Federal 125gr JHP & 158gr JHP ammo since that's what I have on hand for CCW. As I thought the 158gr was a hefty but manageable load with the Speed Six. I did find the small grips did allow for the revolver to tilt my grip upwards while rapid firing. My SP101 does the same with heavier loads.

The lighter 125gr. loads I could keep a constant and firm hold on ALSO like my SP101. I believe that's what I'll be carrying once my new OWB holster arrives. And as usual the GP100 handles all the 357mag loads like childs play. No complaints here. Overall I really like this Speed Six. Don't know why I didn't own one 35 + years ago when I had the opportunity. They've stood the test of time and now a desirable acquisition. In the accuracy department I'll have to take a pass this range outing. The winds & gusts were so high my 1/2" stapeled targets wouldn't stay on backers. But I was hitting where I was aiming at 15yds on the backer so I'm ok with that.
96Qrge8h.jpg

I have the same SP101 and Speed Six. FWIW, I put a BK Grips grip adapter on my Speed Six and it helped alot with the standard wood grip. I used the S&W K frame adapter.

http://bkgrips.com/

wagsfn

Bearcat
My new BK Grip adapter arrived early in the week. As reported by a respected Ruger Forums contributor the S&W K frame grip worked well for them (BK Grip does not make an adapter for Rugers. Only Colt & S&W). After about an hour of dremeling, filing, measuring and fitting I'm almost there! The right side is almost perfect, but left side needs just a tad more removing/fitting of the grip adapter to my liking. Due to time constraints thanks to work I'll get back on this in about 3 weeks. I like the feel of the BK Grip and looking forward to some range time with them very soon! All I need is time......

yrdlJsOh.jpg

Nice Speed Six I feel like I have better control using it with my Pachmayer Compacs.

With the SP101 using the Hogue grip, really helps with control and the trigger guard doesn't hack my knuckle.

You have a nice set there.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Bear Paw Jack said:
Nice Speed Six I feel like I have better control using it with my Pachmayer Compacs.

With the SP101 using the Hogue grip, really helps with control and the trigger guard doesn't hack my knuckle.

You have a nice set there.
I also like the Compacs, but wanted wood; so I tried to mimic the Compacs by removing some material from a set of smooth Herrett"s Shooting Stars.

Regards,
Greg

geo57

Single-Sixer
wgsfn you sure do have a nice trio there and gb6491 you have a gorgeous Speed Six. My wife and I have a blue 4" Police Service Six in .357 ( I just shot it yesterday with a new heavy 38 Special +P+ level handload in mag cases). She also has a blue 2 3/4 " Police Service Six in .357. Unfortunately, ours are not as cosmetically appealing as either of you two gent's Speed Six's are. Also in our stable are a mix of GP100, Security Six and SP101 revolvers, all in .357 Mag.

Long live the Six Series.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
Good lookin revolvers guy's thanks for posting them. Around my neck of the woods anything shorter than 4" is impossible to find. I have two Security Six 4" that are great shooters.