Is Expensive 22 Ammo Worth It?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I shoot a LOT of .22 rimfire on my range in back of my shop. And I'll buy and try, any .22 rimfire ammunition I feel the urge to try, even ELEY 10-X. I do it for my curiosity and no one else's, I just feel the need to know. Most all of my first phase of testing .22 ammunition begins at 35 meters, and if things look good, I'll go back from there, sometime even to 100 yards.
Here's just one example of a test shooting I did with THREE (3) different Lot #'s of Norma TAC-22 from a CZ 455 FS rifle:

1QACYsXl.jpg

irwXu3ql.jpg

33O1qrOl.jpg

The CZ 455 FS is by no means a "target" rifle and the optic setting was not changed 1-click in either direction.

Here are two groups shot just yesterday from a CZ 457 MTR .22 rifle at the same distance target stand. 5 shot groups:

8zYtFrkl.jpg

The left group was shot with RWS R100, what could be considered a premium ammunition, the group on the right was shot with ELEY Target .22 rimfire, same rifle, same distance. Cost of those rounds is around ¾'s as much as the RWS.

The conclusions are there. Better mostly means a bit more costly, but in the long run, it involves what you want as an end result achievement. And, different lot numbers doesn't always mean that accuracy will be affected drastically.

The ONLY way to see how any .22 rimfire rifle will shoot with any .22 rimfire firearm, is to buy some and then shoot in your rifle of interest to see what it actually does.

hpman66

Hunter
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Me_OG4yO_vg
Wolf Match Extra Lapua/SK vs Eley: CZ455 Lothar Walther Barrel
Dayattherange
Published on Jul 21, 2021

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Depending on your needs, is the more expensive ammo better? Wolf ME Eley primed shoots the tightest groups out of my Black Mamba and if I were a bullseye shooter that is what I would go with.

I primarily shoot Steel Challenge, so MOA isn't as important as Minute Of Target which can be an 18 X 24 inch target at 35 yards. I shoot Blazers because they shoot better than most of the more expensive ammo ( out of my guns ).

No matter what you do each .22 is an entity in itself and you have to test a bunch of ammo out of your own gun.

Also, I'm cheap.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Oh boy! Another Steven Spielberg wanna-be. If anyone thinks that any specific make/brand of .22 rimfire ammunition is too costly............don't buy the dang stuff.
Anybody think that the biathlon shooters at the Olympics are shooting CCI Blazers, or Remington Thunderbolts? Heck no, they're shooting the best .22 rimfire they can get, like ELEY Biathlon or Lapua high octane stuff.
I will buy some of the high dollar .22 rimfire ammunition now and then, if only to see how well it shoots in my CZ 457 MTR:
MYLiNDdl.jpg

vvfLT0cl.jpg

8zYtFrkl.jpg

The target on the left was shot with SK Rifle Match, the one on the right, with ELEY Target, yellow box. Do I get groups like the one on the left with that rifle/ammunition combination ALL the time at 35 meters. Heck no! But that rifle and ammunition combination does right well when shooting my "Tack Driver Target" at 35 meters:
VSJ2cDnl.jpg

There's a couple of "awsh!ts" there, but I'm to blame for those, and by the way, the diameter of those orange dots are the very same as a thumb-tack, 3/8 ths inch.

hpman66

Hunter
.315" group at 50m with RWS R50

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=733y1gkABPo
CAN I BEAT THE FACTORY TARGET? CZ 457 VARMINT MTR .22lr
Buffalo's Outdoors
Oct 24, 2021

Snake45

Hawkeye
hpman66 said:
.315" group at 50m with RWS R50

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=733y1gkABPo
CAN I BEAT THE FACTORY TARGET? CZ 457 VARMINT MTR .22lr
Buffalo's Outdoors
Oct 24, 2021

My 452 American will do that with cheap Federal Champions. I wonder what it would do with RWS?

hpman66

Hunter
22lr ELEY Premium Ammo (Explained)
Pursuit of Accuracy
Mar 25

00:00 - INTRO
01:10 - WHATS THE DIFFERENCE
02:20 - HOW IT'S TESTED
02:57 - COMMON MISTAKES
05:13 - 100 YARD SHOOTING (ELEY TENEX)
06:59 - 100 YARD SHOOTING (ELEY TEAM)
08:26 - POSITIONAL SHOOTING (ELEY TEAM)
09:04 - WRAP IT UP

Simmonsburg

Single-Sixer
Generally the Wolf Match is pretty accurate stuff compared to bulk pack in my guns, but it's not a rule since you'll find guns that may shoot into one hole with cheap stuff and spray all over with some expensive stuff.
Generally though, the ammo that's loaded most consistent will cost more, and has the greatest likelihood of being more accurate, and usually will be the 36-40gr stuff.

Huskerfan

Bearcat
Four different brands of ammo are fired through a 10/22 RUGER to see what size groups they would produce. 😉

Is Expensive 22 Ammo Worth It?
AP2020 Outdoors
Published on May 12, 2021
3 hours ago

Thanks for sharing

Latest posts