LCP Help Needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

farley

Single-Sixer
Need help with a new LCP 380. Ran 100 rounds of Federal American Eagle 95 grain fmj ammo through it. Had many multiple failures to extract. The empty cartridge would still be in the chamber, like the extractor couldn't hold on to it.
Also, several times when I inserted a full mag, I couldn't rack the slide. If I removed one round and reinserted the mag, I could rack it.
Any ideas on what could be the problem? Do I just have a lemon? So far, this is the worst new out of the box pistol I've ever owned.

hittman

Staff member
Don't waste your money on more ammo. Send it back to Ruger and hope they fix it.

Or, trade it for something else. Life's too short for the aggravation of a gun that you have no faith or confidence in.

farley

Single-Sixer
I think I will send it back. I've already wasted $70 on ammo. As far as I'm concerned, the gun should function reliably right out of the box. I just wish I could just send it back for a full refund. Even if they fix the problems, I'll never trust it.

farley

Single-Sixer
Put just a few more rounds through the LCP. Same problem, every couple mags, an empty cartridge remains in the barrel. You can see a nick on the cartridge rim where the extractor has slipped off. Calling Ruger tomorrow. I'v seen a lot of complaints of this same problem with the LCP and LCP II. You'd think Ruger would figure it out.

It needs to be adequately lubed! The gun isn't meant to be shot a lot. When you treat it as a glock it will have problems! Lube it with grease, especially the rails, a little in the chamber. Then try again. Good luck.
gramps

farley

Single-Sixer
I did clean and lube it every fifty rounds. Didn't help. Ruger arranged for it to be picked up by UPS yesterday, but UPS never showed up. So, I'll call Ruger again today. What a pain.

Coyote56

Single-Sixer
Be glad you aren't having to deal with a manufacturer other than Ruger. Their CS is among the best out there. Do some digging and check into some of the horror stories regarding returns/repairs with other companies. You'll see what I mean….

farley

Single-Sixer
The LCP came back from Ruger today. One week turn around. They replaced the barrel and entire slide assembly and fired 24 rounds with no issues.
Now I need to find some ammo and test it myself.

Latest posts