Reloading vs. buying factory ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Regarding primers, I bought WW small rifle for 49.50 per carton 2 weeks ago at Sportsmans. The had federal in all sizes at 70.00 per carton. Today a small local gun shop had all fed primers at same price and Remington in only lg pistol at 62.00.
Lets hope 100 is not the norm.
Well the fed match primers might be higher I did not look or ask.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Finished this brick off about a month ago or so... Bought in '06 I think. I'm still making cheap reloads for the most part.

semcMrSb.jpg

The Preacher

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
I put it off for quite a while, but finally did the calculations…
I expect to have 25 more years of reloading left in me. With my current supply of primers, I can load about 50 SP, 50 LP, 40 LR and 20 SR per year. If I pace myself at one range trip a week, and shoot about 3 or 4 rounds, I should be okay, heh heh.
With my luck, any potential supply of primers will now go to domestic manufacturers to help make up for the Russian ammo import ban.
As my favorite teams usual say at the end of each season - Wait till next year!

langenc

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
I suppose I could whip out a calculator, but at what point with today's prices would it be worth it to buy factory ammo, or just bite the bullet so to speak and get some dies, brass and (yikes!) primers to reload. This - in thinking about a new caliber.

I suppose it makes a difference in how much the gun in a new caliber would be shot. But I do see ammo prices dropping, however, I do NOT see primers for sale at all, and the same with dies. They seem to be in limited supply.

The primers and reloading supplies being scares is starting to get to me. I still have primers in the calibers I reload, but am running low on large pistol. I'm just thinking about a new 45 acp.

This is where a 'buddy' really helps. Im betting a buddy would help you load some ammo. Problem now is getting the equip as you noted-dies po and primers. id guide you if you were around here. Visit your local gun range/club and ask around. Might get lucky. Be prepared to buy a good manual and read a couple times.

Many used to think you could save money reloading. Now you can esp if you stocked up on components. Now I reloaders load whatever I need for shooting/hunting.

I was in a small gunshop first of last deer season. While I was there the phon rang 3 or 4 x and all he said was "No I dont have any"--hunters looking for deer gun ammo. Felt sorry for both of em.

mikld

Blackhawk
I reload because I like to. I don't count pennies mainly because I enjoy reloading so much I haven't purchased any factory ammo in 9+ years, and that was for a gun I had no dies for. I started reloading out of curiosity. In summer of '69 I was emptying the cylinder of my 38 Spec. and thought; "I wonder if I could reuse these?". After some research (magazines, catalogs, and several trips to the library) I bought a Lee loader, 100 primers, 1 lb of bullseye and 200 generic 158 gr lead bullets, and I had some scrounged brass from the police range. I would probably reload even if factory was the same or cheaper than reloading...

I doubt if I would start reloading now with the trouble finding components. I was looking at a new revolver but as usual I researched components first. I found one bullet I wanted/needed (only 2, 100 count boxes), and only one supplier of brass. So I'll wait to get a 327 Fed Magnum revolver... :cry:

nrobe50

Buckeye
I would suggest when the supply chain gets caught up, buy a supply and you won't need to worry about the shortages that happen every few years. I am loading primers and powder that I purchased several years ago.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I haven't bought factory ammo for years. I feel sorry for the guys that don't have a place to reload. Or you may not want to do the work. To me it is part of the joy of shooting. I like cleaning the guns and reloading. It is part of the hobby. When the weather is bad I can still go out to the bench and mess around.

I saved 25 cents per round last night by buying factory loaded 7.62x39 ammo (Labor Day sale prices) instead of buying components to load my own generic ammo. IN ADDITION, the cases are reloadable, boxer primed brass which I can include in the next reloading binge.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I reloaded for 40+ years but sadly no more arthritis has pretty much put an end to my hands and fingers just don't cooperate like they used to. On the bright side my grandson now owns most of my guns and all of the reloading equipment, we are both happy.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Big Old Boy said:
I reloaded for 40+ years but sadly no more arthritis has pretty much put an end to my hands and fingers just don't cooperate like they used to. On the bright side my grandson now owns most of my guns and all of the reloading equipment, we are both happy.

teach him well

jd

I started reloading to "save money". I reload maybe twice a year. Mostly .44 spcl or .44 mag. I have the capability to load .357 mag, but haven't shot any in years. I rarely shoot my 9 mm due to cost. Inability to maintain any brass since they get flung into the blackberry patch. I have tried to reload .223, but crush the shoulders! A friends stepfather died leaving behind guns, ammo, powder, primers etc. I paid a proper price, and now I have a lifetime supply. Good luck!
gramps

gramps,
9mm brass is showing up at relatively low prices. It's not as cheap as it was 10-15 years ago but right now, it's the cheapest component of the reload.
Range brass requires a bit more attention than known source brass but for 'just shootin' ammo, it works well enough. I had to sort through probably 3-4K cases to find 500 Federals I needed to load the long shanked 147 HST bullets.

45acpskng

Bearcat
Unless you're reloading larger calibers, 45, 44, or magnum anything, savings aren't substantial anymore, as the cost of supplies and the scumbags gouging, are making reloading less practical these days.

Paul B

Hunter
Someone complained about getting tired or working the "one armed bandit." :lol: My first loading tool was a Lyman nutcracker, the 310 tool. Took a while loading up say 100 rounds of 30-30 ammo for range practice. You didd each step one at a time. First deprime, then neck size, the 310 could only neck size brass, then expand and bell the neck, prime the case, weigh the powder charge using a dipper and finally seat the bullet. That's 500 times you squeezed that tool to load that 100 rounds of ammo. Believe me, I saved every penny I could get my hands on so I could buy that "one armed bandit" to speed up the process and keep my hands relatively cramp free. Took a bit of time too.

That didn't cover casting the bullets, lube and sizing them plus add the gas check. That was back in 1954. These days I have three presses plus a Dillon 500B, over 90 molds to cast various bullets and still love to load my own ammo for whatever purpose.

The only time I buy a box of factory ammo is when I buy a new rifle regardless is I already have one in that particular cartridge. Usually it's two boxes for test firing and case head and pressure ring measurements. After that it's my handloads only. :mrgreen: Frankly, I cannot remember that last time I used a factory round to kill a game animal or varmint.
Paul B.

chuck

Blackhawk
Stocked up years ago started when the Clintons were in charge of us. I'm 84 and have enough supply's so the Mrs. can bury me with some, some of the gun shows that I used to go to about 3 years ago were selling STUFF reasonable. I reload everything I own but 22 long rifle and have 5 bricks of Winchester XX

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Kevin said:
I suppose I could whip out a calculator, but at what point with today's prices would it be worth it to buy factory ammo, or just bite the bullet so to speak and get some dies, brass and (yikes!) primers to reload. This - in thinking about a new caliber.

I suppose it makes a difference in how much the gun in a new caliber would be shot. But I do see ammo prices dropping, however, I do NOT see primers for sale at all, and the same with dies. They seem to be in limited supply.

The primers and reloading supplies being scares is starting to get to me. I still have primers in the calibers I reload, but am running low on large pistol. I'm just thinking about a new 45 acp.
Speaking for myself. I cast my own bullets and have bought my powder, primers and cases before the year 2000. Last I calculated a box of 50 .45 acp's with a lead 230 grain cast ran me $4.00 . I reuse my cases and once a year I gather the lead on my private range at home. So, I basically recycle bullets and cases. I can't buy them for what I load them for.