Can we talk about holsters? Pocket Carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

As soon as I finish typing this, I'm on my way to go pick up the Ruger Max 9 I ordered last weekend. I wanted one of the Glock 43 or 43x, but then in looking at them and watching Hickock 45 discuss the different guns in this class, like the Sig 365 and something by Taurus, I settled on the Ruger Max 9.

I like the Rugers more and more. And the optics ready factor is intriguing.

But what about holsters? Does anyone pocket carry? Over the weekend I was looking at Vedder Holsters. They have some nice options. And their prices seem to be about the same as all the others give or take.

I ask about pocket carry because In the waist band isn't comfortable for me at all.

But does anyone have any opinions one way or another about holsters and/or pocket carrying ???

OK, I'm driving to the gun store right now...they open in 15 minutes...

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I primarily pocket carry. But a snubbie or micro 380 are about the only guns I can easily pocket carry.

Years ago I tried pocket carrying an LC9 and it was hard to fit in a pocket, even harder to get it out and the extra weight made it slap my thigh and get real uncomfortable in a short time.

Thanks for the reply. After picking up the gun, I can see it won't work for pocket carry. It's a very nice pistol, but too heavy for pocket carry. And just a bit too big.

I like the gun overall, the 12 capacity magazine gives a nice little pinky finger placement. But I'll look for an OWB holster.

blammer

Single-Sixer
Pocket carry EC9s in a Desantis holster (with the hook-shaped extension on it). Drawing it is doable, but has to be practiced and you may have to push off the holster if it does not catch in the pocket (has not happened often with my Duluth Trading Firehose pants).

Never had problem with it sitting in the pocket. I'm not that active, but it hasn't bothered me when mowing the lawn or working on the car. But you will have to wipe off sweat from pistol after doing strenuous activity. And maybe put some extra anti-rust protection on the slide. I have good luck with Hornady OneShot GUN cleaner as it leaves a durable dry lube film that won't stain clothing. Pocket lint cleaning is also necessary.

Drawing while seated with pocket carry is a little more problematic. That's primarily why I went with a pistol with a manual safety: just a little more insurance against an ND while angling my hand into the pocket to draw. Also keep in mind that reholstering is different: you do not want to reholster directly into your pocket (at least not with a flexible holster like the Desantis). Take the holster out and holster outside the pocket. This might be tough to do after a critical incident, so practice doing that without covering yourself or others.

It's one of those personal things you just have to try.

I have tried Urban Carry G3 appendix. It was very comfortable when standing or walking. I found it a little more noticeable when sitting. The draw was very positive, though having the flap flopping around after drawing was a little distracting. Re-holstering is somewhat problematic as well, especially if you have just had a critical incident. I stopped using it mostly because of the need to clean it after perspiration got on it. I've never had to clean the pocket holster. If I ever thought I'd need a backup gun, I would use the G3.

I predominately OWB carry a Taurus G3c that is roughly the same size as many of them. I've been looking for a Ruger Max 9 Pro, but haven't run across one. I carry in a Simply Rugged holster and like the taller flap so nothing rubs up against the body. Very comfortable. I predominately use holster that cover the trigger guard. My index finger automatically run down the holster when I grab the grip.

I have pocket carried some and used the DeSantis holster but I carried in my back pocket. The only time I've done this is when I'm using the second gun as a New York reload. The semi is my primary gun.

I also carry my Max-9 in a Simply Rugged Cuda holster. In fact I carry my EC9s and my Security 9 in Simply Rugged Cuda's. I also have a SR holster for my 4" GP100 plus two of Rob's belts. If ya can't tell, I really like them. As BPJ mentioned, the high flap adds comfort plus keeps sweat off the gun.

Love my Max-9. It points and shoots well for me. Shoots 115 gr, 124 gr, and 147 gr with zero problems. Look forward to see how you like yours.

mac66

Single-Sixer
I pocket carry my LC9s, sometimes in the pocket holster that came with it, mostly with no holster. I've pocket carried bigger guns than it.

I've never been a fan of pocket carry. Too slow and uncomfortable. I generally don't IWB carry either. Not as slow but still darned uncomfortable. I much prefer OWB cross draw.

The only firearm I would carry in a pocket would be my NAA mini. And having several holsters for that, including a very compact horizontal cross draw, I just don't see the need to put a firearm into a lint filled pocket.

blue2golf

Bearcat
LC9s in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster for the last 5 years.

No, I can't draw and present quickly, but everything's a compromise. It's nice to have my Ruger on me without anyone knowing. A few weeks ago I carried it all over down-town Detroit and nobody noticed a thing.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
When I carry, I usually pocket carry a Ruger .38 LCRX. Oftentimes I don't carry at all. I live in a pretty safe rural area. Not much crime. Animals are usual the biggest threat. I feel just as confident with a big stick as a firearm when dealing with the possible threat of some sort of mean critter.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have two pistols I currently pocket carry.

The main one is my Kahr MK9 in an Alessi pocket holster.

The other is a NAA Guardian. 380 in what I believe is a DeSantis pocket holster.

I also used to carry my Iver Johnson TP-22 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster until it suddenly got unreliable.

I'm looking for the Max-9 because it's not much different in size from the MK9, but lighter and higher capacity.

Aqualung

wagsfn

Bearcat
Kevin: Good luck on a new holster for your Ruger Max 9. After reading you decided not on a pocket holster (good choice since Max 9 is a little large for pocket carry IMHO), now you get to decide on a decent OWB holster. Decisions, decisions since there are so many choices and great holsters to choose from.

I have two Cleveland Kydex Company OWB High Speed holsters for a G26 & G43x. They ride medium to high along the belt line, a snug fit close to the body for concealment, and a positive retention so it's not going to fall out. Give them a look! Good luck on finding a OWB holster!

http://clevelandkydex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_1&products_id=642

Rumrunner, nailed it on the Simply Rugged holsters. They are great holsters. I've got one for my Taurus G2c/G3c and the LC9/EC9 both. I've got several of their holsters. I'm pretty picky.

Just a tip for those who aren't used to OWB holsters. You either have to carry for the way you dress, or dress for the way you carry. You can't just pick OWB and not have a plan to cover it.

BloodyThumb

Bearcat
I pocket carry a P365. But, with a VERY few rare exceptions, for me pocket carry is for second guns.

I HAVE on occasion carried a P365 in a pocket if wearing short pants and no cover shirt, as in by the pool. That is pretty rare though.

This is what I am working on for my Max9. It's a hybrid shoulder OWB that I'll be doing in carved leather. I'm also going to make a pocket/IWB version deleting the belt tabs and thumb break. The mag could impede the drew but does completely obscure the outline of the gun which most pocket holsters won't do in a jeans pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_111826505.jpg
    IMG_20221130_111826505.jpg
    980 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20221130_111813916.jpg
    IMG_20221130_111813916.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
Here's how mine came out. I've decided that Cargo Pocket Carry is perfect. My Clinger IWB with the pad is reasonably comfortable. Most of my shorts have cargo pockets and I just ordered 5 pairs of Cargo Pants as well. I have an OWB/Shoulder rig as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20221227_172919742.jpg
    IMG_20221227_172919742.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20230319_194738117.jpg
    IMG_20230319_194738117.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20221224_073059199.jpg
    IMG_20221224_073059199.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20221213_144827675.jpg
    IMG_20221213_144827675.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20221227_164145075.jpg
    IMG_20221227_164145075.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 61

DEG1

Bearcat
Only pocket carry my LCP Max. Was using Desantis Nemesis, but was never completely comfortable with trigger protection. Now using Vedder Pocket Locker and satisfied all the way around.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
An update to my response. I ended up with a MAX-9 and pocket carry it like I did my MK9.

I got a decent leather holster from Amazon (J&J Custom Holsters is the brand). It's the type that has the backer on it to make it print like I'm carrying a wallet in my front pocket. You can see it in this pic:
IMG_1560a.JPG

I will say that it's slightly larger than my MK9, but it's actually lighter, even with the added capacity (twice that of the MK9).

My disclaimer is that I'm a really big guy and my jean pockets are big and deep enough to fit the gun and holster.

Aqualung

Last edited: