Optic for Mark 2 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

froggy47

Bearcat
Had this years bought new & using it more since centerfire ammo scarce & pricey. What do you guys think about a rear red/green dot that would attach without gunsmithing? Is there one? I never liked the little rear adjustable (target) sight. This is bull barrel shoots very accurate.
Shoot 10-25 yds. Thanks.

Froggy

Here's my personal experience:
Yes, there are sight dovetail adaptors that allow the mounting of 'dot' sights.
Yes, most of these work fine although the method and fitment of the dovetail key is not the same. Some use a loose fitting key that is secured only by the screws which pull the actual mounting plate tight and some are an interference fit in the dovetail.
I've had very good results from BURRIS adaptors on a coupe different 22/45's including a MK2. Not unreasonably expensive and fit well. They're more of a slip fit in the dovetail and the two screws which secure the plate to the key are small but adequate for holding a small 'dot' sight. Speaking of which, you should study the 'footprint' of various sights before buying either adaptor or sight because there are multiple variations.
As for sight recommendations the list is mind boggling. Compile a list of what you want and how much you will spend to have those wants. There are literally dozens of options for the actual sight and budget is a factor. The dot sight currently mounted on my old 22/45 is an ADE RD3(not sure which sub-model), another has a Burris FastFire 2, and my super accurate suppressor host 22/45 had a Burris FastFire3. The ADE is a green dot while the others are red. These models represent 3 price points ranging from $60 to $140 in the order listed. For precision, the FF3 is an easy choice since the higher quality presents the dot as a uniform circle vs a fuzzy glob. For just plinking or hunting at normal rimfire handgun range, any are good enough.
I chose the budget priced ADE because of the location of the switch which makes it easier to activate with gloves on and being on the front, the switch is protected by the holster I made for the pistol it's mounted on.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Vortex Venom is a very good sight to use also. As for mounting, I went with a dovetail mount from EGW.com Keeps the sight lower.

I also use a C-More Slideride on one of my guns. The C-More has the brightest dot and you can anywhere from 3 t o 16 MOA depending on what you use the gun for. Action and Steel go with the biggest dots. Bullseye is different and I'd go with a 3 MOA.

froggy47

Bearcat
THANKS guys!

Where do I enter my email so I get notifications when a response is posted?

fallsinhole

Bearcat
SOME USE A PRODUCT called black Magic to glue a base on for mounting an optic! Results have been good, need to heat to remove! Pick a base the fits the upper and glue it on!! I sure there are other products that do the same!! keeps from D&Ting!!