Redhawk grip help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
I have a 'Redhawk with what looks like Pachmyer grips and the fit is bad, they don't fill my hands and the finger reliefs are all wrong. I am real comfy with the S & W N frame target grips or something similar so the question is where do I find them. The 44Mag is a handful so I need a better grip.

hittman

Staff member
If you are committed to rubber, look for the now-discontinued Uncle Mikes.

LMLarsen

Bearcat
Eagle Grips makes nice looking classic wood grips for the Redhawk but I've never handled them.

https://www.eaglegrips.com/classic-grips/288-ruger-redhawk-square-butt-genuine-rosewood-classic-grips-checkered.html#/select_option-regular

contender

Ruger Guru
The best thing is to find a well stocked gun shop,, with a selection of grips,, and find a set that fits YOUR hands. Or,, try as many different grips on guns owned by others to see if you can find what you seek. Either option isn't easy,, but it can eliminate unwanted purchases.

Different people have different hand shapes & as such,, a different feel when it comes to fitting a handgun.

Chief 101

Hunter
Thanks for the replies...last night I took the grips off and handled the Redhawk without grips and come to find out that the issue is the filler behind the trigger guard+they could be a little fatter. I just can't get the web between my thumb and index snugged up. Maybe I'll look at Ruger for some wood slabside grips to start with...btw, I'm not set on rubber grips tho I do have one S&W with factory rubbers that work fine.

hittman

Staff member
Use factory wood grips and add a Tyler T grip …. Works for me.

akbluz

Blackhawk
I'll second the Uncle Mike's grips. I have some on my Redhawk in .45Colt. I tried several and they fit my hand the best. YMMV

hittman

Staff member
voxsjiah.jpg

Here's a pic for you of what the Uncle Mikes grips look like.

contender

Ruger Guru
"My first step is to find some factory wood grips..."

Put a WTB ad here in our classifieds. Bet you'll have a set soon enough.

Chief 101

Hunter
Thanks hittman, I put an ad up early this morn. There really is no big rush on this project....

Redhawk41

Bearcat
I put this Hogue Hardwoods grip on my .41 Mag and have been quite happy with it. It honestly is just a tad large for my hand but still very usable, as several deer and this coyote have discovered.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Here's the Pachmayr's on my 4" .45 Colt. I like them a lot. Took me a bit to find one with the discontinued camo.

Chief 101

Hunter
Thanks for the pics and ideas...it would be nice to try some of these grips out so I don't end up with another box full of grips I don't use...

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
For me the Uncle Mikes is the only way to go. Tried Pachmayrs regular and gripper, Hogues, and Tyler Ts. Mikes won out...for me.

Jeff

Chief 101

Hunter
At this time I am using the standard wood with gloves. Mechanics Gloves to be more precise. Tight fitting, good feel maybe later this year I can check out some of the others.

Latest posts