.22 Mk 3 Target - rear sight walking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mk3-2020

Bearcat
Folks, I am seeing the factory rear sight of my MK3 walking in the dovetail. I drifted it back to a centered point once. After about 150 rounds through the gun the rear sight has again moved to the right. I have attached a photo of the situation.

As I am not a machinist, how is this movement prevented/stopped?

Thanks in advance.

You could remove the rear sight, put it in a vise, and dimple the bottom of the sight with a small center punch and a wee little hammer, then tap it back into the dovetail.

But-I might first try a drop of loc-tite in the dovetail before moving the sight back where it needs to be. Might work, and a lot less trouble, maybe.

Mk3-2020

Bearcat
You could remove the rear sight, put it in a vise, and dimple the bottom of the sight with a small center punch and a wee little hammer, then tap it back into the dovetail.
Understand where you are coming from. I'll have to investigate Loc-tite grade properties, as again, this is out of my field.
Thx

Johnnu2

Hunter
Folks, I am seeing the factory rear sight of my MK3 walking in the dovetail. I drifted it back to a centered point once. After about 150 rounds through the gun the rear sight has again moved to the right. I have attached a photo of the situation.

As I am not a machinist, how is this movement prevented/stopped?

Thanks in advance.
Assuming that there is no set-screw (?) to hold it in place, I've stopped sights that are 'dove-tailed' in place by simply stuffing/wedging a thin piece of (any kind of) metal under the sight and gently banging the sight back in place. If you have an old feeler-guage, you could cut a piece (of the perfect thickness) and use it as a wedge.
J.

Rich/KY

Bearcat
The Numrich schematic for the MK III shows a set screw for the rear sight base. Might require a bit of disassembly to access it.

My mark 3 has a set screw.
20240405_062257.jpg