77/22 rifle prices

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Son showed me a couple of consigned 77/22 SS boat paddle rifles a (sort of) local shop had for sale on consignment. One new unfired with wood grain inserts @ $2200. One fired but looks new with a $150 scope and green inserts for $1600. Both have open sights.
He asked me if I might rethink shooting mine but I just shook my head.

chet15

Hawkeye
Boatpaddle M77 Mark II collecting has really came into its own the last couple years. Ruger literally made a few thousands of each model (at least) so rarity is not the issue for most models (except blue barreled actions in the centerfires).
I think this has caught on with shooters because the boatpaddle "was" relatively inexpensive, so folks started putting collections together of very caliber they could come up with.
Chet15

Delbert

Bearcat
Yeh, prices have seemed to go to the Stratosphere on the 77/22 series models. I'm glad I got one sometime in the mid 90's. Mine is a 22Magnum "all weather" model with laminate factory stock. It now wears a discontinued Simmons 44MAG 3-12x44 scope and shoots much better than what I've heard about these rifles that use the same type slip-in (not screwed in barrel) system that is used on the 10/22's. This system seems to be the big price increases of these models as like 10/22 rifles, one can do quite a bit of changing with barrels into a caliber they like, if they want to go with 17HM2 or bull barrel 22LR if they want.

And like me having a 22 Magnum, can go with another 22 Mag bull barrel or 17HMR. I do have both, a 22Mag stainless bull barrel and a 17HMR barrel from Green Mountain and a custom Richards "blue Electric" bench stock for this model. What made it a very simple swap for me, was by having the wood laminate stock over the plastic boat paddel one, was with a wood stock, the rifle came with a factory trigger guard that I didn't need to purchase extra.

I've since changed the rifle back to stock configuration over time when I saw how prices have gone beyond what I'd pay for one now. Only thing I didn't change was the aftermarket Timney 1.5 trigger I installed when I did the custom swaps years ago. It's too sweet to remove it back to stock.

gunzo

Hunter
I've got a stainless with green inserts & sights. I could get a big chunk of cash for it I suppose, but it's worth a lot to me. It's smooth, accurate, very dependable, & it's one of those that I see as remaining that way for decades to come.

It is on a small but long thought out list of mine for useful, but most of all, dependable guns to have & keep.

I don't shoot my 77/22 much except for about 3 weeks before deer (or whatever I might be hunting out of state) season. During those 3 weeks, I shoot at least 20-25 shots every day to get back in the groove.
The rest of the year, other rimfires do the work.

TREE 'EM

Bearcat
Makes me rethink my plans for the NIB 77/22 LR with green inserts that's been hidden in my closet for decades.