accuracy with 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Yesterday I took my 10/22 out to the range to get it tuned up for a shooting contest today. I had everything all figured out with notes on how to shoot at 25, 50, 75, 100, yds. Well, today I go to the range to do the contest and I missed all the 4 1/2" steel plates at 100 yds and was off to the left on the 110 yd paper target. Now after the practice session at range all I did was lube it and clean around the extractor. I didn't disassemble gun. But, I did tighten up the band that holds the barrel to the stock. Would that be enough to make me shoot to the left. My 10/22 is just the cheap carbine so I don't expect great accuracy, but it was way off to the left and it didn't group very good at all. The day before I had a nice cluster right in the center. Do you think the gun was off or maybe competition just got to me and I was pulling it to the left? If I had shot a great group, but left, I would be conviced it was the rifle, but I was off to left, but not in a group. My second round of shooting was better on the paper, but I still missed all the 4 1/2" steel at 100yds. What shooting error makes a guy shoot leftward?

Snake45

Hawkeye
pistolpete":2xy0w2rn said:
But, I did tighten up the band that holds the barrel to the stock. Would that be enough to make me shoot to the left....Do you think the gun was off or maybe competition just got to me and I was pulling it to the left?
Could be the barrel band, could be you. Could also be that your sights got knocked out somehow between yesterday and today.

How was the wind on both days?

Were you shooting from the same position on both days?

I assume you were shooting the same ammo.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I measured my target from today and 7 of the 10 shots are in a 2" wide vertical strip with a centerline that is 3" from center of target. So, If I would have done a better job contrling the elevation I would have had a two inch group centered 3" from the center of the target. On my second round shooting the paper I did end up with a nice group, but even with some kentucky windage I was still off to the left.

contender

Ruger Guru
The worst thing you can do for competition is to test a gun, then change anything, and then go compete without checking it.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Practice day was cloudy. Competitition day was sunny. Wasn't windy either day. I have a 3x 9 scope on gun. I think next time I'll take it out the day before shoot and get it sighted in and not touch it. Both days I shot from a rest on a bench, but on competition day they provided a different rest than what I used. I guess I'll just have to practice more and figure things out.

kyhareraiser

Bearcat
i'd say it was the band being tightened up on the barrel. shoot some more groups and see where they hit and if needed adjust your scope again.. good luck on your shoot