Bill Ruger, Pete Kriendler and 21 Club

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Marcruger2

Bearcat
Hi Folks,

I was recently kindly gifted a signed copy of the "Ruger and His Guns" book. I am trying to understand if there is a relationship between the 21 Club Ruger No.1s, the 21 Club restaurant in NYC run by Pete Kriendler, and Bill's relationship with Pete.

I was surprised that the copy was signed, as by that point Bill's arthritis was reportedly pretty awful. The inscription reads, "To Peter Kriendler, with warm regards and many thanks for keeping the "21" going until I could afford it, (occasionally). Bill Ruger". Wikipedia says "The 21 Club, often simply 21, was a traditional American cuisine restaurant and former prohibition-era speakeasy, located at 21 West 52nd Street in New York City.[1] Prior to its closure in 2020, the club had been active for 90 years, and it had hosted almost every US president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt." Pete Kriendler died in 2001 at 96.

Bill Ruger and Pete Kriendler both appreciated western art and hunting, so perhaps that is the connection. The NY Times story on Kriendler noted "
Mr. Kriendler built a large collection of Western art, specializing in the works of Frederic Remington. Several Remingtons were kept on display at ''21.'' Mr. Kriendler donated others to the Whitney Gallery of Western Art at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyo., where he also endowed a gallery devoted to contemporary Western art in 1995 and was a trustee."

Does anyone have any more information? Was the Ruger 21 Club named after the restaurant? Pictures below. Best wishes to all, Marc
Ruger book 2b.jpg
Ruger book 1.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I wish I had info to help with this. But you need to get ahold of Lee Newton about info on No 1 rifles. If anybody would know anything,, it'd be him. I'll see if I can get him to get on this thread.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I can tell you that back in the very early 60's, lunch (for two) at the 21 Club was over $200........... that was a lot of dough...!!!

J.