Bought my first powder in a long time

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Just yesterday,, I decided to buy some powder from a new retailer. Something I haven't done in a long time. I have bought powder from estates or a good friend who is a gunsmith when he gets some stuff in that I could use. My friend doesn't deal in large quantities or such,, but he does try to get some reloading supplies when he can.
But getting a powder I enjoy & use has been a challenge for a few years now. I had a pretty good supply,, but it's been dwindling to where I've been trying to locate some.
I finally found some,, and as I was cussing under my breath,, gritting my teeth at the very noticeable increase in cost,, I ordered enough to last me quite a while.
Alliant 2400.
I found a place that had some due to information on another forum,, so I looked at it. Sure enough they had (6) jugs in stock. (Before I placed my order anyway.) While their shop is a 2 hour drive from me, which would be 4 hours total,, I decided to save the hassles of driving etc, and just pay shipping. The cost was nearly double what I paid the last time I bought any of it. Well, that was about 5 years ago.
I only bought (2) jugs,, that,, after tax & shipping cost me a tad over $700.00.
No,, it wasn't 1 lb, or even 4 lb jugs,, it was the 8 lb jugs.
I figured with all the current inflation, (thanks to those who've caused that,) the demands for powder, the lack of availability, and trying to use my crystal ball to stave off future issues,, a couple of jugs would keep me happy for a long time.
While it translates to about $45 a pound, it's still worth it to me to keep a few of my very good guns using a load they enjoy. Without powder, (and of course primers, cases, and bullets,) guns become paperweights. Can't have that.

Enigma

Hunter
The price of powder is going up every day, and things are about to get worse. This was posted on another forum yesterday:

News from Shot Show 2024: I just got home from 4 days in Las Vegas at the Shot Show, where I met with the people from the factories we work with, factory sales people, factory directors and owners, importers, etc. The big point of discussion seemed to be shortness in supply for nitrocellulose, which is the raw material used to make gunpowder and other propellants and explosives. Based on these conversations, the issue seems to be based on 2 factors, decreased availability in the supply chain and increased demand for the manufacturing of military ordnance. Getting into the details and a little more, a huge percentage of the nitrocellulose used to make gunpowder historically came from China and Russia, however according to my conversations with industry partners, the Chinese manufacturers who historically were the biggest suppliers at over 30% of the market share are no longer willing to ship raw nitrocellulose to the USA or NATO member countries in attempt to reduce the USA & NATO's ability to supply Ukrainian forces with artillery shells, and of course Russia who historically was the 2nd biggest supplier is out of the supply chain as well. This decrease in supply in raw material has gunpowder manufacturers in the USA raising prices dramatically and cutting off many of the smaller ammo manufacturers. The 2nd part of this issue is the demand for military ordnance, like 155mm artillery shells that use huge quantities gunpowder propellants, and the gunpowder manufacturers switching production to this type of gunpowder with what supply of nitrocellulose they do get. The first reason is that they always put the US government's needs before those of the commercial market, and the second reason is that it is simply much more profitable to manufacturer military ordnance than it is small caliber ammunition, so they get a much more profitable price manufacturing powder for artillery shells. In conclusion, while most of the factories seem to have gunpowder stockpiled today, this issue is expected to catch up to them no later than the summer of 2024 and possibly within a few months, and when it does it will mean the factories will be capable of producing much less small caliber ammunition to sell to the US commercial market. If demand for ammo is low to moderate, you may not see a big change, but if demand were to go way up as it does periodically, the factories will not be able to ramp up capacity to fill that demand. In my opinion, a lot could go wrong in the commercial ammo supply chain in 2024 and it would be wise to stock up sooner than later as 2024 price increases have just started to set in on just a handful of select items so far, and availability is still good which has held prices down temporarily.

I believe the information you got. The exception is about the reasons the Federal gov. gets 1st pick. Besides the obvious need It's also about contacts. Contacts made up front with funds to get be the 1st customer. I dealt with that on a state level.

BTY, that was a great price. I have been waiting for AL15 and a few others for a long time. But recently saw other Alliant powders selling for 70 a lb. That a shipment or two ago were eight to ten bucks less.

Man, current prices are disturbing. Don't want to rub the sore BUT. Monday I 'found' a new sealed 8# jug of H335 I'd had for a while. I won't make it worse by reporting the price on the invoice taped to the lid. ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Mobuck,, it won't offend me at all what you paid for older powder. I bet I can match it in other powder here. :D

NCFNS,, Salisbury. Blue Collar Reloading.
If I had known,, I'd have you go & pick it up for me, to save a bit on the shipping. I didn't want it to get away so I went ahead & ordered it. (They still had 4 jugs left yesterday.)

bobski

Hunter
my kingdom for 8lbs of 700x............
heck, id dance for 8lbs of unique!

funny...i got so much 2400 unused for so long sitting in the corner, its still in a red tin jug with a metal twist cap!
it will last my entire life. i could shoot 410 forever, or break down and load it in 22 hornet. the hornet brass will crack from loading it so much, before i run out of 2400!

contender

Ruger Guru
bobski,, my 2400, my 4227, and my Unique are all used in handguns, and frequently. I have a couple of guns that have proven they prefer 2400 over all others,, so,, that's what I feed them.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
NCFNS,, Salisbury. Blue Collar Reloading.
If I had known,, I'd have you go & pick it up for me, to save a bit on the shipping. I didn't want it to get away so I went ahead & ordered it. (They still had 4 jugs left yesterday.)
I won't be over that way anytime soon, but a co-worker just arrived there for their occasional week-long visit to mother-in-law.
I've never had 2400, maybe I can trade you for some of yours sometime…

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I bought 1 pound of tite group today for 29.95, 1 pound of 700X for 29.95 and a pound of 231 for 47.99 and that one hurt! Still can't find 2400 in my area which is what I was actually after.

contender

Ruger Guru
Cal30 1906,,, you can get 2400 ordered & delivered via Blue Collar Reloading, Salisbury NC. Not cheap,, but some has been available.

I won't be swapping out any of my components since I finally got what I needed.