Chernobyl, wildlife, cancer risks, etc

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
To me, it's very interesting how wildlife has handled the toxic Chernobyl "wasteland".
Jeremy Wade did one of his fishing shows there a few years back,
Now I read this about wolves that are thriving there.
Hope you enjoy too,

I'm fascinated with Chernobyl. When it happened, a few days before May 1st. On May 1st, before the Berlin Wall Came down, all of Eastern Europe had national holidays. Weill Russia and it's satellite countries anyway. It was mandatory to go to the parade outside. My wife was in school and she remembers being outside that day. Of her 4 grandparents I think about 3 of them died from cancer.

But on Google Maps you can zoom in on the area and see some pictures people have posted. The playground with some of the equipment still there in that town close by. Or the schools and apartments just abandoned. It's just amazing. I would absolutely love to go on a tour there. One of those day trips.

And thanks for the link. Very interesting.

dannyd

Hunter
I was a 1000 miles away in Trieste, Italy. The ships Radiation detectors started to sound, at first we thought they were just malfunctioning, but no they were working just fine, we got underway about 30 minutes later.

The only thing we were told is that something happened in the Soviet Union.

Years ago I watched a YouTube video of a young Russian woman who did a drive through of the place on her motorcycle.... quite interesting.... when she got ready to leave the guards at the gate out wanted her to shower... she refused. Also, seems there was an older woman who lived there who refused to leave.... seems I heard the helicopter pilot that capped the molten mess off; his family is petty well off now.

And then HBO had that mini series about the accident. It was pretty graphic.

It's so funny, the whole Soviet Bloc was such a mess both political and structurally. I just cannot figure out how America thought Russia could have been a serious threat during the Cold War.

It was before my time but I'm just so intrigued by all the movies from that time period.

When I taught, I worked with another teacher, and his wife who was pregnant at the time smuggled things across the Berlin Wall into East Berlin.

I could go on, but I am really interested in that time frame of that part of the world.

Sorry to digress.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
You can't really understand what's been going on in the world since 1945 if you try to compartmentalize everything - geographically, politically, or otherwise. The world has become so interdependent for everything since then, that what happens in some village in Borneo can have significant effects in NYC. Back in the '60's and 70's there was a lot of terrorism going on and nuclear war was a distinct possibility - deliberately or accidentally. Look up Bader-Meinhof Group (aka Red Army Faction). Some of what they caused is still around today - notably in the Middle East and the Palestinian problem.

eveled

Hawkeye
For a while steel made before ww2 was sought after because it wasn't contaminated with nuclear fall out.

This article explains it better than I can

If it was impossible to make new steel that wasn't contaminated, what about our food and water?

woodsy

Blackhawk
Does anyone investigate how long those radiation-affected animals actually live?
I remember all those science fiction movies from the '50's which had monsters threatening the world.