Cleaning Mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It depends on the range and how you use them. If you are running outdoor IPSC/IDPA matches and routinely dropping mags in the dirt then yes. I disassemble, run through the dishwasher and spray with dry lube. Same goes for my EDC after a dunk in saltwater. Under lesser conditions every few years should be fine to get the dust and cobwebs out.

contender

Ruger Guru
I consider my magazines as an essential part of my firearms. So, they too get cleaned when necessary. As noted,, when shooting a competition where you drop mags they will require more regular cleaning. But if you look at it like; "It's an enclosed boxy area,, that can trap dust, dirt debris etc,," then you can decide how much cleaning they need.

Many many gunsmiths make good money to "fix" a firearm by just cleaning them. This includes magazines.

KingSnake

Bearcat
After each use, I use compressed air to blow out the mags. Then wipe with alcohol on a rag.
Periodically I disassemble them and thoroughly clean.
I never use any sort of lube on a magazine.

For me, it kind of depends on the specific firearm, ammunition, and the mag itself. I've noticed that some rifles (like blowback pistol-caliber carbines) can get pretty dirty after just a couple of boxes of ammo. Some of that crap can get attached to the mag follower, and pushed down into the mag when you reload the magazine, so I tend to clean those more frequently. Other firearms (bolt action rifles, for example) don't get so dirty, and their mags obviously need less frequent cleaning. And for me it can also depend on the mag - if it's easy to disassemble & clean (like a Magpul Glock-compatible mag) I tend to clean it more often than a mag that's a PITA & needs a special tool to disassemble (like a factory Glock mag).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

And for me it can also depend on the mag - if it's easy to disassemble & clean (like a Magpul Glock-compatible mag) I tend to clean it more often than a mag that's a PITA & needs a special tool to disassemble (like a factory Glock mag).

A GLOCK mag will disassemble just fine, using a 1/8" punch.

They WILL be pretty stiff, the first few times.

Insert punch through hole in base plate, lever base plate forward a bit. Remove the punch, and slide the plate off carefully while preventing parts from flying everywhere…😂