Did the English language change?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
Is it me, changes in the language, or just how kids talk now?

People reverse now instead of backing up. "They reversed into my truck."

Teams don't play each other they "versed" them. "We versed the Oak Street High last night."

Nothing is sold now. "Did you sale your gun?"

Just a few of the latest terms I keep hearing.

dannyd

Hunter
You sound like my 94 year old grandpa, 50 years ago. He went to his grave trying to figure out what a Hippie was trying to be. ;)

pyth0n

Buckeye
Every generation tries to reinvent language etc. Some try to change words, definitions, & purposely use them incorrectly, just to be cool, trendy or suit their agenda or beliefs. Some out of just plain ignorance.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Have you ever noticed how many different versions there are of the Webster's dictionary?
They revise it every few years to delete unused words and add new words/ new meanings for old words.

It drives my crazy sometimes.

Teams don't play each other they "versed" them. "We versed the Oak Street High last night."

I hear these too. I don't know if it's regional, or they are trying to be different. Perhaps they don't know proper English, or perhaps they don't care. I'm just not sure.

People on social media write like that. Or talk if it's a video. Maybe the speakers you've heard are trying to emulate that? Maybe they think it's cool to be different?

And from what I've seen, it's across all colors of people, all ethnic backgrounds etc. so it isn't just one group of people. Again, from what I've seen anyway.

But it's weird.

gnappi

Blackhawk
Only one gets me, and just about everyone does it...

"He went tuh or ta the store". The word TO seems to be gone completely.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The dropped "T" is common here. Instead of Manhattan, it's "Man-ha-in". Another is "shoo-in" instead of shooting. There is a newsman with the 1st name of Brayton on a radio station here, one of the others calls him "Bray-in".....
Well now, dropping a letter is something I can't condemn. The letter "G" is often dropped here in the South. The trick is to know on which words this applies.

Its "nothin'" but never "anythin." "I'm goin' to the store. Anything you want?"

When I visit my daughter up in Ohio, I get kidded about my Southern accent. They say, "Youse guys talk funny."

Bob Wright

Enigma

Hunter
Some of those applications are from British English, as opposed to American English: 'reversing,' and 'went missing.' In written/text form, I attribute a lot of the changes to auto-correct on phones and computers. I turn that feature off on my phone and laptop. I'm certainly not the smartest or best educated person that I know, but I do know the difference between where and wear; their, they're, and there; you, your, and you're; he'll and he-double L, etc. Also, and I may be mistaken (but I don't think that I am), children are no longer taught how to write and speak correctly in school. The teachers probably don't know how, so how are they supposed to teach anyone else?

Well now, dropping a letter is something I can't condemn. The letter "G" is often dropped here in the South. The trick is to know on which words this applies.

Its "nothin'" but never "anythin." "I'm goin' to the store. Anything you want?"

When I visit my daughter up in Ohio, I get kidded about my Southern accent. They say, "Youse guys talk funny."

Bob Wright
Here we have a large Polish population. Dey tawk like dis. Dat dere iss da way dey say tings. In Germany a Fokker is a plane... Here a Fokker is not a nice guy.
Years ago I went out with Polish girl and her "fadder" liked me, her "mudder" dint...

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Here we have a large Polish population. Dey tawk like dis. Dat dere iss da way dey say tings. In Germany a Fokker is a plane... Here a Fokker is not a nice guy.
Years ago I went out with Polish girl and her "fadder" liked me, her "mudder" dint...
For some realy strange talk, go to Southern Louisiana among the Cajuns.

"How you are, ha?"

"Coarse I bin away twelve or lebben years, but dar's good food dere."

Bob Wright

For some realy strange talk, go to Southern Louisiana among the Cajuns.

"How you are, ha?"

"Coarse I bin away twelve or lebben years, but dar's good food dere."

Bob Wright
My Dad was a pipeliner for many years. I knew several Cajuns. Great people and if they liked you it was good. If they didn't... I wouldn't want to be on their bad side.

My wife feels the same about me.... lol
Joking here but something to think about. Is this the master plan of the liberal academia, fantasy landers, to change their language so that they think conservatives, the real landers, are crazy so they can change the facts of what we learned ? Think about it, we now have an Academy for Space Cadets!!!! Lol. okay i hope someone find my humor entertaining.

Latest posts