Found a nice old Winchester 1892 44WCF

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
On my bucket list for a while I found this one online. What got my attention was it's build date of 1895 ....caliber I was looking for being .44-40 and the condition vs. price. Only ammo I could find was 5 boxes of HMS Cowboy ammo and with a .428 bullet did not shoot that well out of it's .430 bore which I slugged. With a plated 200 gr. .430 bullet and 6 gr. of Red Dot or 8.5 gr Unique it shoots very well for it's age. Finally got the Winchester letter for it and happy to have this rifle!

Attachments

• Winchester Model 1892  in good company.jpg
    Winchester Model 1892 in good company.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 102
  • new load number 2 compared to factory load.jpg
    new load number 2 compared to factory load.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 97
  • my winchester birth certificate.jpg
    my winchester birth certificate.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 98

Mus408

Hunter
Of course a matching six shooter in 44-40 had to follow which hangs on same board so I found a Cimarron in the old finish which is bare steel and is the Old Model P with the Colt clicks. I aged it a bit more so to look 128 years old and it shoots really well also.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Attachments

• first shoots with 44-40 cimarron 1873 old model.jpg
    first shoots with 44-40 cimarron 1873 old model.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 49

BearBiologist

Hunter
When I was shooting SASS and into authenticity, I found an 1892 in 38 WCF. It was a take-down, short rifle with octagon barrel. Found a Second Generation 38-40 Colt SAA. Both were NICE but reloading was a bi***.

When my grandmother died, I got a little money from her estate and I used it to make a tribute piece to her. I took an Vaquero (Not a "New Vaquero"), added a Colt 38-40 barrel, had a new cylinder made, had it engraved with Cherokee Indian symbols (She was a registered Cherokee and her mother was Chickasaw. The rest was Irish ("Black Irish"). I wanted something indicative of what a lawman in the Indian Territories might wear. Had Executioner (Patrick Grasshorn) make some bighorn grips, and I found a matching Bowie. I then disassembled an EPS Tom Threepersons holster, stained it and matched it with a River Belt from EPS. All the leather was re-dyed cordovan, with real Indian Head penny conchos. I also had the 1892 Winchester engraved. Bobby Tyler did the work but we disagreed on communication, and he's blacklisted me. That's neither here nor there. He did good work as he had on two Colt SAAs that needed re-bluing.

1698339176203.png

1698339223726.png

1698339269903.png

I also had a Colt Lighning in 38-40 but could never get it to feed right!
1698339389485.png

Needless to say, I like the caliber! The Vaquero and '92 went to my daughter to carry on our heritage!

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
The 1892 is an absolute bank vault as to strength and in 44/40 and hand loads make it appreciably superior to the vaunted Rem 44 Mag
Mine is an original (saddle ring carbine) from the Indian Nations area of Oklahoma ..young man was a first time lister on Gun Broker ... and a ridiculous low price.. no one would touch it/him ..I called him ..gun was his great grand dad's who was an indian territorial peace officer ..
He needed college money so I sent him his $450 expecting to be kissing the $$ goodbye
Received the gun in basically a "seized" condition where the lever would move almost nada
Got the wood off and set it in a pvc pipe full of diesel fuel and forgot it for a few weeks
Could have filled three sewing thimbles of sand/grit/mud from the action alone
After clean up and great bore and overall great shape ..I mailed the kid another check for $750 just so I could sleep well at night ..probably a fool's move on my part but I would hope if my kids were in the same boat as this kid was there would be other fools to pay it forward ..
This is my go to rife when the deer go deep and dark lock down in the brush and it will shoot lengthwise thru any deer in this part of the country guaranteed ..

Bear

Latest posts