Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
hpman66":2qfcb4da said:
jupiter":2qfcb4da said:
they replaced the mainspring housing assembly
they rebored the barrel
they adjusted the ejector......

AGAIN, would you mind explaining what reboring the barrel means? I could understand rechambering or recrowning, but "reboring" is a new one on me. Looks like "reboring" would make the bore too large to be within specs for .22LR bullets. I would think that they would have to replace the barrel or to would have to replace the whole barrel/receiver assembly rather than "rebore".

zenbiker

Bearcat
It's not the ammo and it's not the break in. Rugerlovah straightened me out when I was about to send my new MKIII back to Ruger and tell them to fix it, keep it or shove it.
TAKE THE LITTLE METAL TAB OFF THE LCI!
Since I've done this the gun is 100% flawless with zero jams. It is esay and does not affect the cosmertics of the gun at all. This piece is a completely unneccesary and redundant piece and puts a slight drag on the ejecting casing causing FTEs.
At least give it a try because it can be replaced back in 3 minutes.
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You will fall in love with the gun all over again.

jupiter

Bearcat
Ya I asked what that meant when they said that is what they did...

They suggested to me that the bore at the chamber might have been a bit to tight... and hence they made it slightly bigger to assist in the "loading of new rounds and perhaps the removal of old rounds...

Not a satisfactory answer..

but that said... they could provide me no better explination how a bore could be to small if it was created by a 22lr tool..

again my suspician is it was the chamber end that they "created a bit of extra room for loading and ejection...

YMMV

hpman66

Hunter
jupiter":2pv5ddo3 said:
Ya I asked what that meant when they said that is what they did...

They suggested to me that the bore at the chamber might have been a bit to tight... and hence they made it slightly bigger to assist in the "loading of new rounds and perhaps the removal of old rounds...

Not a satisfactory answer..

but that said... they could provide me no better explination how a bore could be to small if it was created by a 22lr tool..

again my suspician is it was the chamber end that they "created a bit of extra room for loading and ejection...

YMMV

Your answer relates to the questions about rechambering and recrowning that I had raised. The following may be more information than you really wanted but it is something that new shooters should be aware of on chambers, bores, and crowns on their pistols and rifles. I was very suprised to hear Ruger say that they had "rebored the barrel". Sounds like the person that you spoke to at Ruger was not very gun savvy/knowledgeable on what had been done to your pistol. The bore and the chamber are two different things and have different dimensions/tolerances. Most target guns have a tight chamber(Benz Target Chamber for example) that can give more accuracy but is very finicky as to the ammo that it will shoot reliably(especially bulk/non-match ammo). A sporting chamber(more generous tolerances/looser)which allows for more reliable functioning but is not quite as accurate as the target chamber. Target bores are also held to tighter tolerances and usually air gauged to insure uniformity all the way down the length of the barrel/bore(for more accuracy/expense). Target bores can also usually be ordered to the rate of twist desired by the person purchasing the barrel. And finally, the recrowning of an old/damaged barrel often returns the barrel to the greatest level of accuracy that it is capable of shooting. This is the reason that it is always best to clean a gun from the chamber end and not the muzzle so as to not damage the crown/accuracy of the gun. I hope that this was not an information overload for you but at least gave you some basic useful knowledge on pistol/rifle barrels.

jupiter

Bearcat
Not too much overload.. But I did indicate what they Said to me...

Your explanation makes it very clear...

I suspect it is a cheap ammo problem I am having.. But this was not meant for competitive work..

My main purpose was to scare the gators, snakes and raccoons..

I display the gun frequently on my back porch.. I hope they see it and go away without having to actually use it to ensure they go away..

So far.... the visual is not working but the actual usage (with cheap ammo) accomplishes the primary goal.. Now that said... I need to try it with decent ammo to see if I would keep it beside the bed instead of the 12 gauge....

I suspect the 12 gauge will win at home.. .... I have an LCP in the brief case with a laser...

The mark III is still fun to fire even with the jamming...

Next box will be federal to see if the one jam per 40 diminishes...

hpman66

Hunter
jupiter":3tj8mnrf said:
Not too much overload.. But I did indicate what they Said to me...

Your explanation makes it very clear...

I suspect it is a cheap ammo problem I am having.. But this was not meant for competitive work..

My main purpose was to scare the gators, snakes and raccoons..

I display the gun frequently on my back porch.. I hope they see it and go away without having to actually use it to ensure they go away..

So far.... the visual is not working but the actual usage (with cheap ammo) accomplishes the primary goal.. Now that said... I need to try it with decent ammo to see if I would keep it beside the bed instead of the 12 gauge....

I suspect the 12 gauge will win at home.. .... I have an LCP in the brief case with a laser...

The mark III is still fun to fire even with the jamming...

Next box will be federal to see if the one jam per 40 diminishes...

I would like to make about three suggestions. The first would be(as someone might have also suggested before--goes for all three suggestions) to install a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor. I have done this before on MKI,II,III's and just about solved about all FTE's and FTF's problems. Second would be to install a Volquartsen Sear that should get you trigger pull down to about 2.5lbs. And finally, shoot about 1000 to 1500 rounds to break in you pistol to remove and burrs/rough spots. Any problems after that could be magazine related and call for different solutions. The MKIII 5.5" barrel pistol that I deal with has had the V. extractor and sear installed on it, still has the LCI in place and has given good service so far using Wally World/Fed Bulk 550rd ammo. I usually try to steer clear of Remignton Thunderbolt and Winchester Expert bulk ammo. But just remember that each pistol and rifle has it's own rules as to what it likes and dislkes as far as accuracy and reliability. You will just have to find the one that your gun and you like the best and is easiest on the old pocketbook.

Here's a good source for parts for Ruger rimfire pistol and rifles. They give good service and have free shipping. They have always done me right.

Ruger Pistol Parts:
http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=VC2

zenbiker

Bearcat
Modify the LCI as I suggested. You have nothing to lose becuse it can be replaced in a minute. Why the resistance to this easy mod??

jupiter

Bearcat
by removing the metal tab.. at least two folks have posted that the plastic indicator over rotates back and causes real problems with the bolt..

I have found only two folks who removed the metal indicate this...

One removed the plastic as well to resolve

the other put the metal back in.....

Milly

Bearcat
Jacksonville, Il. The nexus of the universe
jupiter":3b5yhv3s said:
by removing the metal tab.. at least two folks have posted that the plastic indicator over rotates back and causes real problems with the bolt..

I'm gonna try it with just the tab removed and if the plastic part (the indicator) gives me any trouble I'll remove it too. The only reason I left it was for cosmetics-it looks better than an empty slot in the side of the barrel. I also noticed that the LCI assembly trapped a lot of crud and grime that would be hard to clean out unless you took it apart everytime.

jupiter

Bearcat
will start with this..... tool steel extractor... with sharper edges.....

even "Ruger Support" said give it a try.....

raw6464

Bearcat
Milly":8ud3sjd1 said:
jupiter":8ud3sjd1 said:

I'm gonna try it with just the tab removed and if the plastic part (the indicator) gives me any trouble I'll remove it too. The only reason I left it was for cosmetics-it looks better than an empty slot in the side of the barrel. I also noticed that the LCI assembly trapped a lot of crud and grime that would be hard to clean out unless you took it apart everytime.

The indicator should not over rotate if you leave the little spring on the plastic indicator.

I've had jamming problems before removing the LCI metal tab and since I removed the metal tab have had NO jams what-so-ever... I shoot Federal/Remington bulk by the tons, the only troubles are the occasional dud cartridge.

There is no doubt on my particular gun, the LCI tab was causing jamming. I clean the receiver with the plastic indicator installed.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
jupiter,

I can not speak about much of the ammunition that Ruger suggest not using, but I can speak of my experience with Winchester xPert.

I have found that ammunition to be very annoying. I bought a bulk box of it to shoot out of my SP101 in 22LR. I found that the bullets were very soft and leaded the barrel, forcing cone, and front of the cylinder a great deal. After shooting 200-300 rounds down my little revolver, it almost looked like a smooth bore, and there was so much lead on the front of the cylinder that it was very hard to cycle the action.

I have not had that same issue with any of the other ammunition I have shot.

I doubt I will ever by anymore winchester xPert

Charlie

jupiter

Bearcat
amazing that for the lack of a 3 dollar part properly made.. ruger would have (to a large degree) FIXED their developing reputation for stove piping.

I have had perhaps on pipe since installed... and I suspect that was a seating issue for the new extractor as it happened in the first mag of ten...

since then NONE...

and i use CRAP ammo..

speaking of crap ammo. Wally just had a case of 555 come in the door.. they agreed to sell me six.. opened first box and sitting on the top was an empty shell no bullet and another full round that looked like the bullet had been sliced half way thru..

a call to winchester confirmed this is wally world special packs of coated x ammo... same stuff just washed and in a pretty new box.

I have not shot any.... but a quick look at the bullets shows deformities that just do not show up in the federal bulks that I have had success getting in the past.... the deformities have got to effect the characteristics of the bullet after it leaves the barrel.. but the pine cones and the floating logs in the pond will not care. clearly this is not target quality ammo.. plinking and large silhouette will be fine if it cycles the ruger without jamming...

more to follow...

BY THE WAY.. winchester wants to see this box of 22 and are sending ups to pick it up ...

YMMV

wixedmords

Blackhawk
There is such a range in performance with .22 LR ammo. Many guns are focused on a certain range of performance. There isn't much of a surprise here. .22 LR autos are mostly like this. Ask a guy with an early Sig Mosquito. They seem to like the speedier .22 LR.

I would do my own testing though. You may find a load at a decent price you have no issues with.

If you don't feel comfortable with the quality of the gun Juniper, I would just take it back. You need to be happy with a firearm.

Good luck.

zenbiker

Bearcat
My LCI does not over rotate with the tab removed and the gun NEVER misfires anymore. I Love fast firing the puppy, trying to jam it and never can. The indicator is flat to the receiver and, cosmetically, is perfect. If the LCI does over rotate, I'll remove it completely because my jamming problem is totally solved. (If that happens, I might even epoxy it in place). Better an open slot than a jamming gun.
About the crud around the plastic indicator, you don't have to remove it to clean. Just use a toothbrush with Hoppes inside and out and it will be fine.

zenbiker

Bearcat
Take the metal tab off the LCI. The gun will eat anything with NO jams. Try it, you'll like it.