Hunter
.50 caliber BMG SLAP ammunition

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1449kJKxlMQ
My 50 Cal Exploded
Kentucky Ballistics
Published on Apr 29, 2021

nekvermont

Buckeye
Wow, scary, he's lucky to have made it through that. I wonder how many of us will develop a flinch after seeing that?

daveg.inkc

Hunter
That screw in breech plug is fine for a 77/50. No way would I buy or shoot a screw in breech plug .50 BMG. I'm sure with proper ammo it's safe. But, to a point. That is weakest part of that rifle. I suppose if a bolt had it locked in place, receiver might have exploded. Buy a Barrett!!

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Being close to Vanderbilt was definitely a blessing being close to God was a wonderful thing to.

hpman66

Hunter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71OGayW7CnI
Earth-Shattering ka-Boom! How (and Why) Guns Explode
Forgotten Weapons
Published on Apr 30, 2021

Don Lovel

Hunter
should be a required view for anyone who reloads, plays with surplus firearms and ammo or is paying to shoot a big gun at a "range day".

I have seen a few grenades, Winchester Model 50 with a bulged barrel and cracked bolt from overcharged reloads, shooting handgun silhouette matches, Ruger Super Blackhawks with the top strap blown off them and cylinders split, barrel shot out of the frame on a S&W Model 29 and a barrel split on a 30-30 TC Contender. I have seen a Browning shotgun go full auto into the floor of a duck blind, I have had a customer discharge a .380 pistol in his back jeans pocket and creased his butt cheek standing right next to me. I have seen a 300 Win Mag hangfire and jam the bolt on a Browning X Bolt as well as give the man shooting it a black eye and sore shoulder from a reload and I have had a 36cal blackpowder Navy revolver shoot all the cylinder at once. Stuff goes boom, if it is in your hands when it does, you might get hurt. Surplus ammo stored in a hot warehouse probably does all kinds of weird things to nitro based powders. The damage to his throat and upper chest cavity would have killed him pretty quick had he not had his dad with him and the ride to the ER must have been pretty tense for dad.
He is all the time shooting big bore blasters, sooner or later something is going to go wrong

dwayne

Single-Sixer
Rule 1: never fire 50 BMG armor piercing ammo in a fancy potato gun. Rule 2: if you ignore Rule 1, don't sit close to it. Geeezzz.

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
Why would anyone even shoot a blank through gun whose lock system is a screw on cap whose metallurgy has not been designed and tested by a reputable/knowledgeable manufacturer and further ..

Has no redundancy for venting and or containment of shrapnel from a catastrophic event ????

Not good at all

Bear

I wouldn't shoot such a design but apparently, it was suitably tested for safety with standard pressure ammo. The erratic ammo performance seemed to have been under played by the shooter--that was his mistake.