LC9 will not cock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just bought my LC9 Friday. Took it down to clean and then reassembled. Now the gun will not cock. Note. I have the LCP and SRC and have had no problems with about 500 rounds through it after cleaning. Now this one out of the box is messed up. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Dave

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
Is it possible the lock got turned some how? Definitely not an expert but I know when I use that little key in the lock it prevents the trigger from "catching"

Yes, I have done the lock thing over and over. And the mag was in place. It does seem to have something to do with with the safety or maybe something like a spring in the trigger mechanism. Sure is a bummer to just buy a new gun and have it non- functional right out of the box. Thank you all for your reply's.
Dave

Unfortunately, I can't help you other than to say that I've learned from these type post that the suggestion you 'clean' a new gun before trying it out is a big mistake. Now, you don't know if the gun came that way from the factory or if it's something you did. The only solution I know is to send it back to Ruger.

There was a spent casing in the box for a reason... it shows the gun fires to me.

I've only bought three factory new guns and have shot all three with out problem and with out cleaning them first.

I do not really see the point. The gun was very dirty and way to much oil. I would not want to shoot any gun in that condition regardless of new or used.I will continue to clean my guns prior to shooting. The problem would have surfaced the next day, and I just soon find out now. The bottom line is, I have a new gun that won't shoot. I was hoping that their was a simple solution, but it is obvious that the gun will have to go back to Ruger.

jmlampert23

Bearcat
blume357 said:
There was a spent casing in the box for a reason... it shows the gun fires to me.

i second that. i never clean a gun without shooting first. you may think that there was a lot of oil on it but ruger did not think so when they put it on there before packaging. that spent shell tells you everything you need to know. oh and that gun needs more oil than others.

I do not recall stating that Ruger did not test fire the gun. Nor am I condemning Ruger. If you want to shoot a gun without cleaning it first, then by all means do so. I realize any gun can get a malfunction when new and I just happened to draw the low card, so be it.

jhearne

Buckeye
They're just saying, that since you took it apart before firing it that you can't say if the problem now is a fault of your own while taking it apart or if the gun was problematic out of the box. I fired 1000 rounds out of my SR9 before cleaning it, had grease and oil in it too.

And the LC9 isn't a gun you can "cock", being that its only DAO. I guess you're saying it won't dry fire when you try to pull the trigger. Did you just field strip it, or take the whole thing apart in a detail strip? Without knowing the details of what you did, no one can offer any other advice except to call Ruger.

Josh

I thinkI answered the question before. I only did a basic strip for cleaning only.Nothing but the 3 or 4 step process and a wipe down. (some of the oil was literally dripping on to the mat. (I have no problem with shipping the gun with heavy oil). I have a hard time believing that I did something wrong. However I am open for discussion. I have checked the gun out for nicks, a visual of the gun from top to Bottom and looked at the magazine for any nicks. I can see nothing. It seems it may be something with the magazine safety feature or maybe something internal with the trigger. I do not know. I never work on my guns and always let a licensed gun smith work on them.and personally would never tear tear down a gun further than the cleaning process. I will be calling Ruger am. and hope I can send it to them and get a quick return. I love the LCP (especially now that I have crimson trace and think my Sr9 is a dream gun. I like the feel of the LC9 and can't wait to shoot the gun. Just a little frustrated. I have heard that Ruger has excellent customer service and hoping I can get the gun back soon.
Thanks
Dave

Boge

Single-Sixer
YOU always want to clean a NIB gun before shooting. Gun companies have no idea how long a gun will languish in a warehouse/distributor/gunshop and so they use a lot of oil or grease. To shoot a gun with oil or grease in the chamber is inviting disaster. Scientific strain gauge tests have shown that firing with an oiled chamber TRIPLES rearward bolt thrust. That can easily send the bolt back into your head. :wink:

jmlampert23

Bearcat
I would consider taking it to the range and trying to fire it. also post some pictures to illustrate what you mean by not cocking?

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
davevabch Note: Prior to this I had shot approximately 150 rounds without any problems.....While at the range, I shot 3 magazines (21 rounds), with no mechanical problems. I then reloaded the magazines, inserted one in the pistol and let the slide go forward. When I tried to fire the pistol the trigger had no tension and the pistol would not fire. I ejected the magazine and ejected the round that was in the chamber. I reinserted the magazine and let the slide go forward. The same as before, the trigger had no tension and the pistol would not fire. Examining the hammer it looked like it was not cocking. The safety lever would not work also. I contacted Ruger CS and they Emailed me a Next Day UPS label and I sent it off. My gun was with them for 1 week to the day. They Next Day Aired it back to me. They replaced the hammer catch spring and fired 40 test rounds though it without a malfunction. I went to the range and shot off 160 rounds of 115 grain FMJ rounds with only 1 FTE. I believe that was due to the ammunition because that round had a lighter report. Sorry for the long post but I feel better about my LC9 now. Needless to say, Ruger CS is top notch.

I wish you the best of luck. Does this sound like the same problem you were having?

Ridge, now that what I was waiting to hear. I should have stated "THE TRIGGER HAD NO TENSION". So it appears my gun is the same with the "Hammer catch spring". It is very comforting to hear about the great customer service and glad I caught the problem early. Thank you for posting.

Dave