LCR .38 AIWB holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blivit

Bearcat
Greetings!

Found a solution for concealed carry AIWB for Ruger .38 LCR with Hogue SKU#: 78139 G10 grips wearing t-shirt and shorts is Harry's Holsters Icon 2. I'm 6'1", 200 lbs. with a paunch that's paid for. This revolver virtually disappears on me, and I can even wear it sitting for hours without discomfort. YMMV. Please no debates over revolver vs. auto, 38 vs. your caliber, etc. Thank you.

Blivit

Bearcat
Thank you, hittman. Actually I was a here before as 'batuche' but couldn't log in today using that name because I haven't been here for so long, my email address has changed, etc., so I just logged back in as a new user. I'll try not to stay away so long this time.

Blivit

Bearcat
Just got some 148gr. wadcutters to try. I've never used them before & anxious to experience their recoil in the LCR.

Good for you, finding a holster that works.
Finding the correct holster, and/or convincing yourself you've found the right holster, is the biggest part of the battle of having the best carry options available. I would like to know if you still like this holster after you've used it a while. I've tried them, have never learned to like them, but I'm also around many very experienced shooters that think they're the cats meow. And for these same reasons, many of us have boxes full of holsters..

148 gr wadcutters are an excellent choice, and in many cases the best compromise of minimal recoil and decent bullet performance.

Last edited:

Blivit

Bearcat
Greetings WAYNO, and thanks for checking in. Long answer to follow.

I'm not a super experienced shooter, nor do I hang with any, so I have had zero influence from that crowd, God bless 'em. First, I chose to carry the LCR primarily because of its size, and weight. The AIWB decision wasn't a battle for me as much as a challenge to convince myself to just try. I own a number pistols with wonderful OWB leather holsters, but where I live and with my current wardrobe I find concealed carry in that manner impossible, yet I recognize the need to concealed carry. YMMV.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to purchase a holster from Harry's, or an LCR. Rather I posted to offer my experience as an option for anyone considering a kydex AIWB solution with an LCR. I found his holster on my own without any recommendations by doing a lot of research on the internet with manufacturers, users, reviews, etc., plus a number of emails back and forth with Harrison himself before I bit. Harry's Holsters are not inexpensive, nor do they have the most liberal return policy. No guarantee it would work for you. There are others out there so take your time.

I don't know if there is a perfect holster any more than there is a perfect camera, car, etc. We strive to get as close as we can. The place I started was to accept the fact that I would feel some difference with the presence of any holster inside my pants. The next step was to find a home (valley) on my body for the new guest, and I chose the appendix location, never mind that our bodies are so different. Within days I was carrying this holster much of the day (I haven't gone much over 5 hours yet) and can actually forget it's there sitting or walking. Did I notice it at first? Of course. Was it uncomfortable? Slightly. Did that recede and go away over a short period of time? Surprisingly, yes. Now I only notice it in the process of sitting whereby I may need to nudge it a scosche in one direction or another, but nothing dramatic. Then perhaps another small adjustment when standing. I wear at one o'clock with the grip tucked gently below and following the line of my limited paunch. I don't know how to describe it in any more detail than that. I very well may be the lucky one without a drawer full of rejects, although I do have a few OWB models acquired early on that I don't use. I'm currently in the hunt for a similar solution for a Shield Plus to carry in rotation.

Re ammo: I doubt the LCR is anyone's favorite range pistol, but I like it and practice with it because I chose to carry it. I read about wadcutters but have never found any OTC locally, so purchased a couple boxes online ($$$ shipping). I'll probably use one box to test recoil & accuracy then stick with whatever .38 ammo is the most economical for range use. I may carry wadcutter at some point, but for now I'm sticking with Buffalo Bore Item 20C/20, which isn't much fun to shoot in a .38 LCR, but it's what I think will do the job if/when I need it.

Hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in your search. Let us know how it turns out.