Medical alert button

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Acorn

Buckeye
Since my Father passed away a couple years ago my 90 YO mother has been living alone. I am thinking about getting her one of the panic buttons she can wear if she were to have an medical emergency. I also think the automatic fall sensor is a good idea. Any recommendations as to brand?

I got my mom one from these people...

https://assistivetechnologyservices.com/

...no fall detection on the one I got but it works flawlessly. She recently fell at 2:00 AM and needed medical attention, she pushed the button, my phone rang and we were talking. I was able to call and ambulance and meet them at her house within 15 minutes. It's set up to call me, my sister, my brother, and 911 in that order. They have lots of options available.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
My Mother has Life Alert.
She has had to use it several times and the response was excellent.
When she pushes the button the paramedics are on the way and everyone on the emergency list gets a phone call.

Pal Val

Buckeye
My friend gave his 89-yr old dad one. One day, the old fellow took a fall and pushed the button. One of the paramedics apparently was a very pretty girl, and he must have taken a liking to her. He suffered a dislocated ankle and she had to help him to the wheelchair. A few weeks after leaving the hospital, he pushed the button again and later called his son, angry because the paramedics this time were two guys!

The company doesn't take false alarms lightly, BTW. He has been warned.

JackpineWillie

Single-Sixer
Life Alert works great where I live. We are very rural and the one time Mom had to use it a fireman was here in 10 minutes. By the half hour mark we had two fire trucks and a half dozen firemen in the yard!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
RSIno1 said:
Get the fall option. Many old people take a fall and are disoriented or unconscious and forget or can't use the button.

Hi,

Definitely get the fall option. Some people are stubborn and just won't use the devices (including my late Mother who refused to have anything to do with one.) So at least there's some possibility of help if the device knows, without human input, that the person's fallen.

My mother might still be alive if she hadn't taken that last fall when she was 90, all alone, without any means of communication.

Rick C

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Same here, Rick.
She refused to wear the thing, fell out of bed and was discovered in bad shape by her neighbors. Those good people deserved a spot in Heaven! The damage was done, though...things closed in very quickly after that.
If your mother can be convinced to wear the thing, get the fall option!

Jeff