New Ruger on the way!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thanks, going to give it a test run this Friday. Am anxious to see how it handles. I bought a speed loader for it and practiced with that last night. It drops 6 rounds fast and easy, but then you have to load the loader... I don't think it will save any time at the range but will be nice if I have to greet an uninvited guest...

Put 100 rounds through it yesterday. Front sight is TERRIBLE... Ordered Ruger sight with red ramp. Hopefully it will work out better. Also, the rear sight needed a bunch of adjustment. Up/Down was not bad, but the Right./Left was off by a mile. I adjusted a bit on the range and then came home and but a bore laser on it and tuned it up a little better. Am upset I didn't put the laser on it before I shot it. My first new Ruger was pretty spot on so I figured they were better than mine actually was from the factory.

My daughter bought a Buckmark .22 and I was expecting it to be less of a gun than my Ruger MKIV but it was DAMN nice. The trigger was much smoother than the MK IV, but I am not looking forward to giving it a deep cleaning, which is brainless on the MKIV. She didn't want a MKIV because when we go to the range, she uses mine but doesn't like the red dot I have mounted on it. In any case, between the two of us, we have both at our hands.

Paul

contender

Ruger Guru
When Ruger (or any of the big makers) mass produce a firearm,, they now use a machine to test fire for function each gun before shipping. They do not "adjust sights, or zero" them. Too many variables for them to take the TIME (read money) to do that.

As for the differences in the Browning & the Ruger when it comes to cleaning. Each one has it's differences, and from the few Browning's I've taken down,, I much prefer the Rugers.

As for the front sight on the GP,, why was it "terrible?"

When Ruger (or any of the big makers) mass produce a firearm,, they now use a machine to test fire for function each gun before shipping. They do not "adjust sights, or zero" them. Too many variables for them to take the TIME (read money) to do that.

As for the differences in the Browning & the Ruger when it comes to cleaning. Each one has it's differences, and from the few Browning's I've taken down,, I much prefer the Rugers.

As for the front sight on the GP,, why was it "terrible?"

I have currently purchased two Rugers. The MkIV had its sights set pretty close to spot on. I put a red dot on it and my daughter wanted her own gun with iron sights and liked the MK IV, but not the red dot. We shoot together and thought it was good to buy something other than a MKIV for reasons of not duplicating the MKIV. I chose the Ruger after reading how easy it was to take down and clean - and I have other Ruger pistols and a rifle. The Browning Buckmark is actually very nice to shoot. Had I not known about the ease of breakdown of the MK IV, I might have chosen the Buckmark.

As far as the front sight on the GP100, The black front sight against the black rear sight ( with small white border) is not easy for me to get a good sight picture. I ordered the Ruger replacement front sight and will give it a try. Terrible may not be the best word for the front sight, but lacking in contrast where easily otherwise manufactured is too many words for how I felt!

When the new sight comes in, I will see if it helps out with my tired old eyes. Maybe it is my eyes that suck... hope not...

Not my gun, not my photo. When shooting I focus on the front sight so the area of focus is usually reversed from this image, but I couldn't find an image where it was focused that way. Will see how it looks with a red front sight.

gp100 sight picture.jpg

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Not my gun, not my photo. When shooting I focus on the front sight so the area of focus is usually reversed from this image, but I couldn't find an image where it was focused that way. Will see how it looks with a red front sight.
Like this? A few secs with an image editor on a PC.

Attachments

• blur_test.jpg
    blur_test.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 13

contender

Ruger Guru
Black on black for sights is a common type. Sadly,, as we age,, our eyes find that it may not be the easiest to see or adjust to. I used to enjoy black on black iron sights,, but in recent years,, a good fiber optic seems to really give me a good contrast. Everybody's eyes are a little different.

I know I would. I put one on my Ruger MkIV and do love it... My daughter who goes shooting with me hates it and since the GP100 is more a stay at home for when unwanted guests come to dinner and not a primary target shooting pistol, I think I will start with the red front sight and see where it takes me. I do love my Holosun 507C ( I think that is the model number ) and will shoot a hundred rounds through it at the range about once a week or two. Love the inexpensive .22s. I plan on shooting the 357 only enough to be competent with it. Since my history is with revolvers going back to the mid 1960's, I won't be going through a lot of rounds with it compared to the .22s. Its because of that history I chose the 6 round cylinder as they count off without error. If I had bought the 7 round gun, it would either leave me with a spare round in the 357 or possibly giving my .22 revolvers an extra squeeze.

I like it with the blued finish.

Black on black for sights is a common type. Sadly,, as we age,, our eyes find that it may not be the easiest to see or adjust to. I used to enjoy black on black iron sights,, but in recent years,, a good fiber optic seems to really give me a good contrast. Everybody's eyes are a little different.

The red iron sight was cheap and available on Amazon. If it doesn't do what I need, I may go to one of the HiViz sights. I like the way they look in the sight view, but not so much from any other angle.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I snagged your JPG and did it in red. Like it even better that way!
I bought a 6 pack of fluorescent UV setting nail polish to paint black gun sights. I have also used it on my fishing bow marked for distances like a bow "rainbow sight" because the trajectory of a fishing arrow is like a lead anchor :)