Now THIS Was A Great Present!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My family got together the one rifle I wanted more than any other: Ruger bolt action .22/250. Love it. Light and easy to handle, and super versatile. From this point forward it will be pretty much handguns as I now have all the long guns that I wanted!

Now, the questions: 1) It's not a big deal, but there are no sights? I haven't seen that on a rifle before ( but have on shotguns). I have a rail for for a scope, of course, but am still wondering why this was done?

2) The factory stock mag holds 4 rounds. Here in NJ we can have up to ten. Is there a higher capacity mag available anywhere? Thanks in advance for any answers.

You haven't been looking at many rifles over the last 40 years, many don't come with sights. Why, many reasons. Few will use them, most want a scope. It's less costly to put something (open sights) on that few want or will use. Depending on the rifle they may get in the way of having a scope on the gun and many remove the rear and or front sight so there not in the way. Bolt action center fire, I don't want any cheap O sights on any of them I buy. And the factory sights are Cheap O sights. Those that want them will say in case the scope fails they still have sights. Then take a look at what they have for scope rings. Many couldn't take the scope off in the field anyway.
The other question I have no answer.

Thanks folks. Kmoore is right. I have been concentrating on handguns, especially since my eye dominance switched after Long Covid. I used to be right-eyed left handed. Now I am left/lest. The thing is, I always used handguns in my left hand, but was righty with long guns. The result is an even better shot with pistols, but still adapting with long guns. But I wander. It's just because I like shooting handguns better, but these days long guns have become a bit of a necessity. Hence, my surprise at no sight. No matter,- at this point I'm using a laser until my long gun skills come back anyway.

Good info above lots of reasons "why" or why not,,Ruger did offer on some models, "with sights" or not, and of course there was a price difference look through someof the old catalogs,,,but from what we had in the shop back then, it was usually lower,smaller caliber like the 77/22 or 357 or 44 mag, but probably carried over to other models....great point above as 22/250 and the "need" for sights....hhhmm:unsure:;)