OM Blackhawk Rear Sight elevator

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bocash3

Bearcat
Howdy.

Was re-visiting an OM Blackhawk 6 1/2" .357 at my mountain cabin this afternoon. Seems last time out it was shooting a bit low so wanted to sand bag it and re-check.

Went to adjust the elevator screw in rear sight and................................... GONE!! It was there two weeks ago when I turned it "up" 2 clicks.

NOT in the zippered gun rug. Did not see it on cabin porch floor where I was shooting.

Don't remember whether it was in place when I cleaned it at my home bench two weeks ago.

This is a first for me............................ the screw is gone but the "stop" or clicker is still in the edge of the hole.

IF I can't find this missing piece - or pieces - (not likely at this point) are these hard to find for the older models?

**PHOTOS showing the empty hole and serial number for reference BELOW.

Thanking y'all in advance, Bo in Western NC

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 25

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The current screw likely would work and if you call Ruger parts they send small parts like that for free.

However once Ruger replaced the aluminum sights on the new models with steel sights like the first OM sights, I replaced my aluminum sights with the steel sights. They'll probably send you one free because they're under $20.

Johnnu2

Hunter
When you call, they probably will ask you for the SERIAL NUMBER of your gun. MAKE SURE you give them the serial number of a NEW MODEL OR a converted OM. They won't give or sell you parts for an unconverted OM (last time I called them).

J.

Bruce51

Bearcat
Brownells sells a replacement screw #780012031 for $6.49.
If you need a higher rear sight blade order #780020001.
Some older sight blades were flat while the newer sights and blades have a bump to retain the blade during recoil. I found this out when the new blade arrived and I had to grind off the bump to install on a 70's vintage NM.
The sight blade would still jump out of the slot.
I used a small bearing to increase the spring tension and retain the sight.
Now I know why the blade was missing when purchased.
If you have the new style the sight will have a slot in front of the blade.
Check it out or purchase a new complete sight
with bump for $19.95 from Brownells. #780012049
Bruce

bocash3

Bearcat
Thanks to all. Contender, I put in a plea with serial number today via email on their web site.
So we'll see what they come back with.

hittman

Staff member
WTB in the Classifieds probably knock some outta the woodwork here too ….. surely somebody has a spare laying around and can help you out

bocash3

Bearcat
UPDATE: Well.............. reply from Ruger Service says they won't furnish a part unless I send the OM Blackhawk in for a Conversion. NOPE!! I'll never have it converted.

So anyone want to sell or donate a proper Elevator screw to a worthy cause? Otherwise, I'm going to order one soon.

Thanks so much for putting up with me. Bo