Pics added! A diagnosed P-nut finally found a .45 acp P-97..how scarce are these guns?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
I have been on the hunt for a stainless slide P-97 (KP-97DC is the proper model number, I believe) for at least 5 years now. I have never seen one, even at high priced gun shows. Several attempts on "the big auction site" have been met with being outbid every time. Well, I finally scored one on the same auction site a couple days ago, on a "take a shot" bid that I couldn't believe was accepted. I should get it by Monday at the latest. It will complete my trifecta of P series guns which now include a KP93DC and a KP944. I will absolutely post pics of my new acquisition when I get it and clean it up (all new to us guns always require some sort of bath, right)?
Anyway, .45 acp P-97's don't seem particularly plentiful, certainly not in comparison to P-89's, P-90's and P-95's at least. Is this truly the case or is it just my experience? I can say that have seen a handful of P-345's in the last 2-3 years, but never a P-97.

roylt

Hunter
I think the 97 model was towards the end of the P-series. They switched gears to the 345 model with a bit of a redesign and that was it for the P-guns.

I had one years ago that was sent into Ruger for a frame issue. They ended up selling me a 1911 as a replacement because there are no more 97 frames in stock. I still have the extra mags that can be used in my P90.

Glad to hear of any P-gun story so glad you found one you like.

Keep the P-guns alive!! From one P-nut to another.

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Thanks, roylt......for those waiting for pics, it finally found its way to my FFL after a weekend delay thanks to USPS. I should be picking it up Thursday and pics will follow.

Clash734

Bearcat
I don't have the numbers, but it makes sense if you think about it. For .45 Ruger had the P90. Then they came out with the polymer frame P97. Not long after that they came out with the P345 that supplanted both the P90 and P97. So in terms of time, the P97 wasn't around long enough to be made in the same numbers as the P90.

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Finally picked it up late this afternoon. It is in need of a cleaning in the nooks and crannies, especially in the hammer area, which I'll hopefully get to in a couple weeks. Overall I am pleased with this score.

Attachments

• p97.jpg
    p97.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 41
  • p97-2.jpg
    p97-2.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 33
  • p97-3.jpg
    p97-3.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts