Polymer jacket ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

amishjeff

Bearcat
I was looking to buy more .45lc rounds and came upon some "Polymer jacketed" rounds for a reasonable price. I know nothing about polymer jacketed ammo and was hoping someone(s) could offer some insight as to performance and FTF/ FTE issues as well as possible buildup issues.
Thanx

I was looking to buy more .45lc rounds and came upon some "Polymer jacketed" rounds for a reasonable price. I know nothing about polymer jacketed ammo and was hoping someone(s) could offer some insight as to performance and FTF/ FTE issues as well as possible buildup issues.
Thanx

I have NOT used any of the stuff that's currently being produced, but my Rugers never had issues with the Federal Nyclad 9mm ammo that was made 20-30 years ago. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in!

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
:)

contender

Ruger Guru
Poly coated bullets are basically what many of us are calling "powder coating." It's a form of plastic coating. It can be applied in a few different ways,, and has become quite popular in the last 10 years.
Less expensive than jacketed,, and often not much more expense than cast.

Basically, a good alternative for many to using cast. They don't smoke like case bullets when fired because the smoke comes from the lubes used in cast. They shoot cleaner in guns. They often give a bit better velocities than using a cast bullet that's the same.
And depending upon the coating,, you can often slightly increase the velocity over cast bullets. Just do not load them to jacketed bullet levels.

I powder coat all my cast bullets now. Once I tried it,, I never went back to lubing them. And in USPSA competition,, I see a very large portion of competitors now using poly or coated bullets. Some buy them, and some do them themselves. I do my own.

Not sure if this is applicable (they're not showing a .45 Colt load):

1709218911176.png

:)

^^^I'm very pleased with Federal 9mm SYNTEK 150 grain ammo. It's clean and doesn't leave much residue in the muffler on my AR9 and stays sub-sonic from an 8" barrel. The wide, flat meplat transfers energy much better than one would expect--possibly due to the 'softer' lead inside the polymer jacket. No 'splashback' from close range steel targets.
I'd recommend giving this ammo line a try if there's a caliber/load you like.

AZ10X

Bearcat
I rarely buy factory loaded ammo. I have been using powder coated semi wadcutter in pistols and revolvers for target use. Unquestionably the powder coated bullets eliminate lead and copper fouling and make cleaning a breeze. No smoke from bullet lube either.

Attachments

• IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 26

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I bought a few boxes of this from Underwood. Shot up one box, and it performs as advertised. Pricey, so not something I'd use for plinking. $1.50/rnd plus shipping. 925fps from a 5" 1911.

black cherry 45.jpg