Portrait of a hummingbird (x2)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Been trying to get this young lady to sit still for a portrait for weeks. She finally obliged, if only just for one shot!

P1070001_zps8ml9itow.jpg

Edited to add the one and only decent picture of "Rufus" I've managed in a year! This is the golden hummingbird I asked about last summer, and most everybody seemed to agree he's a rufous hummingbird, hence the name. He's an official bad-arse little guy, about half the size of the Anna's hummingbirds more common at my feeders which he chases off pretty constantly, sometimes two at a time! He's always watching, but never sits still for more than a few seconds, unless he's hidden in the bushes where he can see but pictures don't work. In the air, he's bright shiny gold all over. Today was "Gotcha, Rufus!" day:

P1080030_zpsjmqsuut0.jpg

Rick C

4kdave

Blackhawk
We started out with two this Summer and now have between 6 & 8 at the feeder. Filled it yesterday and half empty this AM. I can't tell if some are babies but expect they are.

Don Lovel

Hunter
how about a Rufus on my spinning rod?
He is the feeder controller, tough little fart, seen him do amazing aerial combat flying chasing other types of Hummingbirds away from the feeder

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Nice shot, Don! Sounds like your "Rufus" shares the same personality traits with his namesake here in my yard. If there's a hummingbird equivalent of "short man syndrome," my guy's got it bad! ;)

Rick C

Great pictures Guys. We have some traveling through on their way South. They have been at the feeders and flowers for about a month.
They are pretty dumb for a smart bird :D They can fly across the gulf but can't figure out how to get out of my hangar. Instead of going out the BIG door they came in they try and go thru the skylights. I have picked up many tired ones and taken them to the feeders for a shot of energy.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Wow, great pics everyone!
We see hummingbirds frequently.
If you ever get toTucson, the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum has a pretty cool hummingbird house. The little hummers are buzzing all around you!