Rare as cast frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

goodrich289

Single-Sixer
I just checked mine and no stamps

Attachments

• 20240303_175317.jpg
    20240303_175317.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240303_175325.jpg
    20240303_175325.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240303_175333.jpg
    20240303_175333.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 32

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I didn't buy that one, but I have rough cast NM Lightweight Blackhawk and Single Six aluminum frames, obtained from the Stan Terhune (former Pine Tree Castings plant manager) collection. I think there was only one gun, a .357 Blackhawk, completed with these frames.

Single Six:
Prototype_NM_Lightweight_Frame1.jpg

Prototype_NM_Lightweight_Frame4.jpg

Blackhawk:
Prototype_NM_LW_Blackhawk_Frame1.jpg

Prototype_NM_LW_Blackhawk_Frame4.jpg

From the RENE Reference on the Blackhawk frame/gun:

New Model Lightweight Blackhawk
Identification: The New Model Lightweight Blackhawk is identified by the aluminum alloy (or titanium?) cylinder frame, two pins in the cylinder frame and New Model transfer bar safety system.

Models: The model KA34 is the only one known.

Key: "KA" = stainless components on an Aluminum alloy (or titanium?) cylinder frame.
"34" = .357 Magnum caliber with 4-5/8"barrel.

Date of Manufacture: The one known revolver is believed to have been manufactured in 1990 or within the first six months of 1991.

Prototypes: The only example known is s/n'd KA34 which is stamped on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard. The only other rollmark is the "Warning" statement which appears on the left side of the barrel. The cylinder frame is finished "in-the-white" and the other stainless parts give it an all white appearance. The grips are of "treebark" color laminate. Between 1 and 3 other cylinder frames are believed to have been cast but none of these are known to have been completed into finished revolvers. At least one of these remains in "as-cast" condition and in a private collection.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Troy, that's pretty cool, being anodized and all. I think Steve's completed Lightweight Blackhawk has a natural colored frame, but I've only seen pictures of it and that was at least a decade ago, probably longer.

I do also have a partially completed .357 old model flattop frame. It appears that they made it unlikely to be able to be built up into a functional firearm by stripping out the barrel threads before they scrapped it. It is not like it was never threaded, but rather that the threading was intentionally ruined by some means.

OM357FlattopPartialFinishedFrame-1.JPG

It may have been rejected for that ding in the edge of the topstrap to the left of the rear sight channel.

OM357FlattopPartialFinishedFrame-2.JPG

OM357FlattopPartialFinishedFrame-3.JPG

OM357FlattopPartialFinishedFrame-4.JPG

OM357FlattopPartialFinishedFrame-5.JPG

The pivot screw holes were never threaded and there is need for considerable "deburring".
OM357FlattopPartialFinishedFrame-6.JPG

twriggen

Single-Sixer
The posting stated 12/55 and the picture of the stamp didn't help clear it up as it looked like a 55 and I didn't investigate further. I watched this auction but didn't feel the need to buy a third single six casting. If they has posted it correctly I bet it would have gone for substantially more money. Good on the person that did win it for paying attention to the details.

chet15

Hawkeye
Whoever got it probably didn't know this is a casting from the first 2,000 Single-Sixes.
Most folks don't know they changed that breech face detail at that serial number.
Chet15

Latest posts