Reading about 38/55

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I was just reading on this cartridge for deer hunting. The srtical says its no good for deer. Then i read tgat it started some where in the 1300 plus mv. Then manufactures produced a 1630 mv and finally 1700.
These are with 255 gr. Bullets. Sounds like a great deer cartridge to me. Besides most hunters dont need to shoot 200 yards at a deer and 100 for me on a good day. Ive always liked calibers that are a little off the Lgs conversations.

wwb

Hunter
Anybody who bad-mouths the .38-55 has no idea what they're talking about. It's about on par with a .30-30 for a deer cartridge.... slower, but heavier. For 150 yards or less, it will do just fine.

When my grandpa was a young man a friend of his had trouble with a cat stealing chickens from his chicken house. Grandpa's friend borrowed a Winchester Model 94 in 38/55 and waited for the cat. This cat was a big orange tomcat named Peter and the cat belonged to an old lady who was deaf. The cat stopped in the road with the chicken and grandpa's friend fired the 38/55 at him. The bullet hit the ground next to the cat and ricocheted into the cat in pieces along with the road gravel. Grandpa said that the old lady told him..... "Land sakes! Peter was sitting in the road eating something and he just up and exploded! I ain't never seen anything like that in my life "... Grandpa said he had a hard time keeping a straight face and told her that he had no idea what happened.