RIP Warren Zevon

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
The great Warren Zevon died 20 years ago today—September 7, 2003.

John Ritter died September 11, 2003.

Johnny Cash died September 12, 2003, thus completing possibly the coolest Celebrity Death Trifecta of all time.

If I ever think I'm having a bad day, I remember Billy Bob Thornton that week. He was close personal friends with all three.

Zevon's "last interview" with David Letterman has been called one of the finest hours of TV ever. If you'd like to see a particularly moving version of "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner," just jump ahead
to about 18:20.

I've been a fan since I first bought Excitable Boy on vinyl not long after it was released. It still gets a play every now and then. I also burned a copy of the Wind that I was only able to listen to once.
RIP...

Excitable Boy is perhaps the best song about a psycho, and it has Linda Ronstadt and Jennifer Warnes going vocals.

RC44Mag

Buckeye

With Joe Walsh on slide guitar. It doesn't get much better than this.

Any time I hear this song I just have to stop and listen to every detail especially Joes slide. Warren had some of the best players on this album and another virtuoso slide guy, Ry Cooder
Warren went out with his magnum opus album.

Never heard of him... was never a music fanatic... but I watched the interview with David Letterman and was impressed... I know exactly where he was coming from... and I do my best to enjoy the sandwiches I have left...

four years ago I looked down into the valley of death.... literally... but that's a story best told in person like at the Ruger Gathering in a month.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Carmelita is good too. I listen to a radio show on the way home from work at night that plays some offbeat music and they played Carmelita a couple of nights ago
"Carmelita" is not my favorite WZ song, but for some reason it's one that's been covered by many others, including Adam Duritz and Tom Russell. Probably my favorite version is by Linda Ronstadt.

Ride1949

Hunter
"Carmelita" is not my favorite WZ song, but for some reason it's one that's been covered by many others, including Adam Duritz and Tom Russell. Probably my favorite version is by Linda Ronstadt.

(y)
My favorite version too. She sure was a beauty back then, and had a great voice.

Never heard of him... was never a music fanatic... but I watched the interview with David Letterman and was impressed... I know exactly where he was coming from... and I do my best to enjoy the sandwiches I have left...

four years ago I looked down into the valley of death.... literally... but that's a story best told in person like at the Ruger Gathering in a month.
So glad that I am not the only one that had to look him up to find out who he was. I await your story in three weeks.