Ruger 57 for black bear defense?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
As far as power the 41 has plenty with no wrist busting recoil. The follow up shot is faster. The 44 has far more recoil and the follow up shot is slower. Granted the 44 has more energy but not much more and kicks like a mule. The 41 pushes it don't try to flip out of your hand therefore the follow up is quicker.
The idea that the .44 Mag has a lot of recoil depends almost entirely on what round you shoot! If you are comparing the max .44 Mag load with the max .41 load, then the recoil difference is substantial. But at this level, the .44 Mag is over 40% more powerful than the .41 Mag, which is partly why the .41Mag more or less disappeared. The .357 Mag comes fairly close in power to the .41 Mag, so the .41 Mag is really not necessary. You can get lower .44 Mag rounds that equal the .41 Mag.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Be advised there IS such a round as a 45 Mag.
As soon as I saw the words .45 Win Mag I immediately thought of the Wildey! I saw one a few months ago at a gun show but the seller had just bought it from a walk-in and wasn't interested in selling it. He DID let me handle it though…

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I have been hiking in PA black bear country for over 50 years. I have encountered many black bears without incident. I have experienced 2 defensive charges from females with cubs. A bit of bear spray ended those capers. Te scary incident was a big male who made an aggressive charge. First shot of bear spray turned him away, but he came back. Second shot of bear spray drove him off. He did not come back. Bear spray is better than a gun, which should be the alternative if the spray does nor end the incident.

I have studied a great deal about black bear encounters over the decades. First advice is do not shoot for the head of a charging bear. Very thick skull can cause ricochet and failure to stop. Bears run at 35 mph. They can close 50 feet in a couple seconds even with a bad headache. Bear spray repels them or slows them down. Move to side for a shot to the side of the head or even better to the torso right behind the shoulder. That's where the hear and lungs are.

In the woods I carry Underwood Extreme Penetrator +PP 9mm. Do not use JHP. Penetration is the key. A 357 with that ammo ought to be ok for a black bear. In CO you might encounter black or brown bears. If I were going there I would want a 45 magnum. But I am not going there. In CO you also have to be aware of cougars.

Learn about the difference between a defensive and aggressive charge. The bear will actually let you know whic. A defensive charge come with a lot of growling, standing, and showing teeth and claws. An aggressive charge the bear get closer to the ground, does not stand in 2 legs, does not growl, has ears pinned back and eyes always on you. It's damn scary. Read up,on bear spray — it's your best first line of defense. Good luck.

Added later. Forgot two things 1) if you have to shoot the bear keet firing until it drops and be prepared in case it gets back up. The problem with a revolver against a bear is capacity. The the Adrenalin rush you will not be achieving range shooting accuracy. Today when I go into bear country I carry 15+1 with 15 more in an OWB mag pouch.
Bravo Zulu to this....

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Odd this thread came back up....I've been having bear problems more than ever since last OCT...they always showed up Fall and Spring to knock around trash cans and destroy bird feeders....but this Spring is different and they have become squatters in my backyard and more interesting on my upper deck.....my 9MM house gun has been swapped to my 10MM hunting gun...and my wife and I both have a 12GA in our bedside wardrobes but the 1Buck has been exchanged with slugs. I've never been worried about blackies but these are acting different and way too comfortable on the deck. Wife is a retired Animal Control Officer who has tangled a bunch over the years with them....even she was taken aback with the pompous and arrogance of the bears this year....my deck and furniture is ruined....and they tore down her fancy new deck lanterns probable thinking they were feeders lol.

The last encounter had a "bluff" charge that hit the sliding glass kitchen door.....ripped the outside screen as it huffed and hissed.......10MM 200gr Buffalo Bore just in case, but pretty sure they won't try to enter house. I'm just worried about folks leaving at night after a visit.

bobsyouruncle

Blackhawk
Bears hanging around will eventually will be a problem. Loud music can be a deterrent, non lethal rubber buck can work, followed by slugs if it doesn't.