Ruger American 223 rotary mag max C.O.A.L.?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Can someone please tell me what the maximum cartridge overall length is with the rotary magazines in the earlier versions of the Ruger American in 223 Remington? Thanks

Measure as best you can. Load 3-4 dummy rounds at the longest length you determine and see if they feed properly. If not, seat a bit deeper and try again. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get a number that works. ;)

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Measure as best you can. Load 3-4 dummy rounds at the longest length you determine and see if they feed properly. If not, seat a bit deeper and try again. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get a number that works. ;)
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I own the newer version that takes AR type mags. I came across one of the Rotary mag versions for an attractive price, but I don't want it unless I can load to the lands. I got an AI mag well and 204 Ruger mag from Ruger for my current rifle, but have misplaced it somewhere.

"but I don't want it unless I can load to the lands."
I understand your desire BUT with all the hoopla and hype over the mismatch/crossmatch between .223 and mil-spec 5.56x45, I seriously doubt that any common .223 factory made rifle has a true .223 chamber. This means 'load to the lands' ends up with a way overlength cartridge.
We had a Savage .223 here that had been 'shot out' by the previous owner. The only way to achieve even moderate accuracy was to load heavy semi-spitzer bullets and modify the mag well block to accept ammo about .25" longer than normal. No way would this work in a detachable mag platform.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
"but I don't want it unless I can load to the lands."
I understand your desire BUT with all the hoopla and hype over the mismatch/crossmatch between .223 and mil-spec 5.56x45, I seriously doubt that any common .223 factory made rifle has a true .223 chamber. This means 'load to the lands' ends up with a way overlength cartridge.
We had a Savage .223 here that had been 'shot out' by the previous owner. The only way to achieve even moderate accuracy was to load heavy semi-spitzer bullets and modify the mag well block to accept ammo about .25" longer than normal. No way would this work in a detachable mag platform.
I just found the AI mag well and magazine that I had ordered from Ruger last year. I can now very easily load to the lands. I have a super accurate match prepped load that uses a 55gr Sierra BK over a stout load of Varget in Lapua brass. It's right at 2.26" long, works in AR mags, and I see no need to do anything else with it. However, I would like to work up a 77gr TMK load with the ability to load long. I can report back how it goes.

That other RAP sold for only $300. Should have bought it.

Sugar River

Buckeye
The solution you're seeking was made about 10 years ago by a member of 24HR Campfire forum who goes by "cotis",
They are a simple replacement for the factory rear end of the magazine and allow a c.o.l. of close to 2.5".
One fellow was loading the Hornady 75 Amax at 2.429 which put it .010 into the lands. i don't know if they're still available.

Latest posts